What one coin have you been looking for and how long?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by ldhair, Jan 11, 2010.

1. texmech

texmech Wanna be coin collector

Do you think the state quarter collectors are poking around at other denominations like Lincolns, etc?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

I am not positive, but I believe that initially ANACS only guaranteed the authenticity and gave no grade. I have not seen many earlier than 9-09-82.

4. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I'm not sure either.
    It's part of this set. It sold a while back. Not sure who bought it.
    [​IMG]

5. gixxxer

gixxxer Who Is John Galt**

Here's one. My Dad had this one sent in, way back when. I'll see if he can give more insight later this evening.

As far as the op, I've wanted a nice 3-Legged Buffalo for a while.

Attached Files:

6. AlexN2coins2004

AlexN2coins2004 ASEsInMYClassifiedAD

around $30k that's about 10-15 years of my coin budget...lol

7. sweet wheatz

sweet wheatz Senior Member

The 1889-O Morgan Dollar my grandmother gave me that was reciently stolen. I know I will never find it, but it is worth looking in recient shops and pawn shops.

8. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Still trying to decide??

9. 900fine

900fine doggone it people like me

I can see why it's taking years to "get happy" on a Seated Dollar. There are plenty out there, but few are poppers. Many are stinkers.

For whatever reason, certain coins are tough to find with great eye appeal.

There are mountains of gorgeous Seated coins, particularly 25c and 50c. The recent Heritage FUN auction had quite a few zingers. I would not have expected Seated Dollars to be a problem, but they are.

10. CoinKeeper

CoinKeeper Keeper of Coins

[​IMG]

3215 troy ounces

Need I say more?

11. Catbert

Catbert Evil Cat

I would like to find a mint state Middlesex 239 "Uncharitable Monopolizer" Conder token in copper, or in the alternative, a lesser expensive white metal. I have been told that they become available every few years or so. I recently turned down an opportunity to purchase a copper XF version so I will wait patiently for that right coin/opportunity. This is Dr. Gary Sriro's picture from his CD pic compendium:

[​IMG]

12. ddoomm1

ddoomm1 keep on running

$5 gold piece ,,hope to get it Thurs,, will be my first gold purchase :D

13. gixxxer

gixxxer Who Is John Galt**

Spoke with my Dad about the one he sent to ANACS, to have verified as authentic. He said that ANACS was grading back then. There were fees for Authentication and seperate fees for grading.

14. PennyGuy

PennyGuy US and CDN Copper

Hey Catbert, check out Lot 99 in Goldberg's Pre-Ling Beach catalog, it's a MS-65 BN.

15. Victor

Victor Coin Collector

1888 P Morgan. Nice one at a decent price.
    1901-O and 1901-S Barber halves with full rims.

16. Ardatirion

Ardatirion Où est mon poisson

Ah, you people are weak! :D Half the stuff in this thread could regularly be had for the right amount of money. Where's the real challenge, people?

17. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

18. Ardatirion

Ardatirion Où est mon poisson

19. TCB_24-7

TCB_24-7 Junior Member

Ummmmm.....pretty much ANYTHING could be "had" for the right amount of money. The cost of the coin is not relevant to the original thread/topic.

20. DoK U Mint

DoK U Mint In Odd we Trust

I'll accept this

I'll accept this.....whatever it is.

As for WEAK! Anybody using this as a pocket piece has bigger wants than I can understand.

But I'ld be willing to linit my hallucinations to just ONE if it were this One.

BTW~What IS this?:confused: (& where?)

Attached Files:

21. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

Hey Elvis,

Our point had nothing to do with money. He was correctly pointing out that some of the responses in this thread were listing material that could be purchased at anytime if you have the money available.

The spirit of the thread was to tell a story about a coin that has eluded you as a collector despite years of searching. 1909-S VDB Lincoln Cents and 1916-D Mercury Dimes are available at every major sale in a variety of grades. I believe your answer was anything minted prior to 1799. If you could narrow that down to one coin, I will help you find it within the next month. I don't think a month long search was what the OP had in mind.

PS. Can you refrain from calling people names. Much appreciated. Thanks!

Draft saved Draft deleted