What? No EID MAR thread yet on 15 March?!

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Roman Collector, Mar 15, 2021.

1. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

..haha!..when i hear/see that word ...cookieman comes to my mind >< cookieman.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Limes

Limes Well-Known Member

The obligatory yearly thread! Nice to see the eid mar denarii again, can't get enough of them. Here are my contributions (no eid mar denarius obviously):

The victim:
    0.4.png

the culprits:
    0.10.png
    0.6_2.png
    0.3.png

the wannabe heir, but de facto dictator:
    0.9.png

the real heir:
    0.11.png

the result of all of this (the emperor, Augustus, founder of the principate)
    1.5.png

4. PlanoSteve

PlanoSteve Well-Known Member

Nice! Do you suppose Agatha Christie conceived the plot for Murder on the Orient Express based on Caesar's demise???...just sayin'...:D:rolleyes::jawdrop:

DonnaML and panzerman like this.
  5. Terence Cheesman

Terence Cheesman Well-Known Member

The guy with the lean and hungry look, C. Cassius Longinus Ar Denarius Military mint possibly Smyrna Obv Head of Libertas right diademed RvSacrificial implements CRI 221 Crawford 500/3 3.57 grms 18 mm Photo by W. Hansen 500-c.jpg The eminence grise of the whole "liberator" movement the position of Cassius is something of an anomaly. By rights he was the more experienced commander and had better connections in the east than did Brutus but it is the later which has the lions share of the coinage. Of course this might have something to do with the fact that Brutus had leant money to some of the cities in the east charging something like 48% interest leading one modern historian to comment that Brutus was a man of high principal and even higher interest;)

6. Nemo

Nemo Well-Known Member

Julius Caesar Bithynia.jpg
    Julius Caesar Ae Bithynia
    BITHYNIA. Nicaea. Julius Caesar, as Dictator (49-44 BC). AE (25mm, 6.6 gm, 1h). C. Vibius Pansa, proconsul, dated Civic Year 236 (47/6 BC).
    O: NIKAEΩN, bare head of Julius Caesar right
    R: EΠI ΓAIOV / OVBIOV / ΠANΣA, Nike advancing right, palm frond in left hand over shoulder, wreath upward in right; monograms to lower left and inner right, ςΛΣ (date) in exergue. RPC I 2026. BMC 8-9.

This issue was one of only two Roman Provincials which have definitive lifetime portraits of Julius Caesar and was the first of them, the other from Lampsacus in 45 BC. Struck in Nicaea in Bithynia (present day northwestern Turkey), not far from where Caesar had just won a massive victory over the rebellious King Pharnaces II.

C. Vibius Pansa was part of the Caesarian faction at Rome and was friends with Caesar under whom he served in Gaul. He was elected Plebian Tribune in 51 BC and appointed governor of Bithynia et Pontus in 47 BC. He was the son of Caius Vibius C.f. C.n Pansa Caetronianus, who served as moneyer in Rome in 48 BC.

The first appearance of his portrait on coinage in Rome was on the denarii of M. Mettius, in January 44 BC. These coins served as a signal that his individual authority was becoming a threat to the sovereignty of the Republic.

JCaesarBlack.jpg
    BRUTUSLentulus.jpg
    JBrutus.jpg

7. lehmansterms

lehmansterms Many view intelligence as a hideous deformity

Another, slightly different (almost believable) "EID MAR" copy[​IMG]
    A more authentic J. Caesar
    [​IMG]
    None too pretty, but this Caesar elephant & impedimentia denarius was actually found, encrusted, in a lot of uncleaneds, about 20 years ago
    [​IMG]
    A dupondius in Æ
    [​IMG]
    And Octavian's memorial posthumous sestertius (or maybe dupondius? no one's completely sure) for his deified, adoptive father, featuring the "Sidus Julium" in the obverse field - this is the accompanying piece to the large Æ with Octavian on one side, Julius on the other (there's one upthread) I recently upgraded my specimen and don't have it photographed yet
    [​IMG]

DonnaML and panzerman like this.
  8. jamesicus

jamesicus Well-Known Member

Well, thank you for the thought @ominus1 - good to see you also!

James

Last edited: Mar 16, 2021
    panzerman and ominus1 like this.
  9. Gavin Richardson

Gavin Richardson Well-Known Member

Better late than never.
    JC.jpg

10. jamesicus

I do like your “lettuce” salad post @octavius:) :

Quote:
    Just finished making tonight's supper to commemorate the day...

[​IMG]

James

Last edited: Mar 16, 2021
  11. jamesicus

Fantastic, Joe - I never tire of seeing that wonderful Eid Mar!

James

Last edited: Mar 15, 2021
    panzerman likes this.
  12. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

13. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

LIBERATORS

CASSIUS

[​IMG]
    GAIUS CASSIUS LONGINUS & PUBLIUS CORNELIUS LENTULUS SPINTHER
    Proconsul and Imperator
    AR silver Denarius.
    Struck circa 42 BC, at a mobile military mint moving with Brutus & Cassius, probably located in Smyrna.
    C CASSI IMP LEIBERTAS, veiled & draped bust of Libertas right.
    Rev: - LENTVLVS SPINT, jug & lituus.
    18mm, 3.3g.
    Craw 550-5, Sydenham 1305. Sear, Imperators 223. Cohen 6 (4 Fr.)
    Ex: Incitis

BRUTUS

[​IMG]
    Roman Republic 54 BCE
    AR Denarius, 18.3mm, 3.7g
    Moneyer: Marcus Iunius Brutus (aka Quintus Servillius Caepio Brutus)
    Obv: Bare hd of L. Iunius Brutus (Consul 509 BCE), Bearded r, BRVTVS behind
    Rev: Bare hd of C. Servilius Ahala (Master of the Horse 439 BCE), bearded r, AHALA behind
    Ref: Sear 398, Crawford 433/2,
    from collection W. Esty CKXSUB 613

14. Limes

Limes Well-Known Member

Amazing! My dream coin! (which proves to be out of reach time and time again:()

panzerman and Nemo like this.
  15. Nemo

Nemo Well-Known Member

Don’t give up hope, I felt the same way till this one came along!

panzerman likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted