What makes some stamped $2 bills worth more than others?

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Mr. Numismatist, May 26, 2024.

1. Mr. Numismatist

Mr. Numismatist Strawberry Token Enthusiast

I was wondering what determines the value of a stamped $2 bill? Obviously condition is a big factor, and I'm assuming star notes and fancy serial numbers affect the value as well. But does the type of stamp used or the town it was stamped in matter?

What are these ones worth?

IMG_4821.JPG
    IMG_4822.JPG
    IMG_4825.JPG
    IMG_4834.JPG

Dynoking and SensibleSal66 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Jersey magic man

Jersey magic man Supporter! Supporter

In my book they are worth $2. All I see is a defaced $2 bill. However, I would imagine there is someone who collects these somewhere. The value is whatever they will pay for one.

4. Tall Paul

Tall Paul Supporter! Supporter

Why would someone do that to currency?

5. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

I consider member @clayirving the expert on Stamped, First Day of Issue 1976 $2 notes. Hopefully he’ll see this thread and contribute.

Cheech9712 and Mr. Numismatist like this.
  6. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

It was a new way to celebrate out bicentennial. They probably have the issue date as 1976.

7. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

These have a local post office cancellations which gives them more of a personal thing for me. I do not like ones that have stamp applied to them I think it make them a bit tacky. These have just the cancellation marks which I think is a bit more decreet with the fact they were found on the first day of issue.
    As to value, To each his own with an item like this.
    20210930_062518.jpg 20210930_062549.jpg

8. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Hamlet Squire of Tomfoolery . . . . .

Pretty much nothing.

Z

9. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

For me, it was a special time spent with my Dad. Going down to the post office on that nice sunny morning on April 13th 1976, I was 10. There also was a huge parade to celebrate the Bicentennial and the re-introduction of the $2 bill.

Mr. Numismatist and ZoidMeister like this.
  10. techwriter

techwriter Well-Known Member

Yep, remember July 4, 1976; a Saturday but our local Post Office opened and cancelled our souvenir $2 bills with the July 4 postmark.
    2dollar_july4_zps8i6or1tb.jpg

11. clayirving

clayirving Supporter**

Let me attempt to provide an explanation — We are avid collectors of US paper money. Today is 13 Apr 1976, and the US $2.00 FRN is issued for the very first time. As collectors, we rush to get it, but wait… We have the note, but so what?
    If there was only someway we could authenticate that we got the note on the first day of issue… Someone came up with a brilliant idea – Take the brand new uncirculated note to the Post Office, buy a stamp, lick and stick on the note, then ask to have the stamp postmarked.
    Wham-bam, thank you, Mam! We have authentication that we got the note on its first day of issue!
    How rare is that?!

12. Jersey magic man

Jersey magic man Supporter! Supporter

Who really cares it it was gotten on the first day of issue. It is the same note as issues every day after that. It reminds me of the "early issue" or "first strike" coin slabs. Same coin as issued on the next day or the next week. No added value in my opinion.

Mr. Numismatist likes this.
  13. clayirving

clayirving Supporter**

I see the novelty of authenticating that the note was acquired on the first day of issue.

14. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Well, I'll tell you what. As far as I know, none of my friends had one from my town. Either that or their parents got one and stored it away. ??? Pretty neat tto have when you're a child collector as I was.

Mr. Numismatist and ZoidMeister like this.
  15. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

I basically agree with Jmm and TP that they're worth face or whatever someone wants to pay for it. And Secondly, why would someone do that to currency.

I inherited this one a few years ago. I keep it for no particular reason other than it's extremely rare. Although others have similar canceled $2 notes, none are like mine. Mine is unique. If you zoom in on the date and serial number you'll see a collection of numbers and letters that identify this one as the ONLY one of its kind. And I have it!

20240529_210639.jpg

20240529_210826.jpg

;)

Tall Paul and Mr. Numismatist like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted