what makes a star note rare or valuable?

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by bryantallard, Apr 29, 2020.

1. bryantallard

bryantallard show me the money....so i can look through it

other than obvious factors... condition, run size, total printed, serial number(low number/fancy serial)… what are the NOT obvious factors? like, does the district play a part? do the block letters play a part? whatever you can tell me, I would very much appreciate it. thank you.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

EBay :greedy: :wacky:

bryantallard likes this.
  4. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

Scorecard sellers at ballparks across our country yell out, “You can’t tell the players without a scorecard.” This holds true with replacement (Star) notes also. Without a guide, either online or in written form, you really don’t know. Modern star notes are heavily dependent on condition for value and collectibility, whereas older notes can still be valuable in circulated condition. As a general rule, sheet replacement notes are more in demand and valuable than pack replacement notes, because there are much less of them. Districts play a major role also. The BEP printed 250K 2017 $1 Minneapolis replacement notes, which they hadn’t printed since series 1995, so these were in high demand and bring high prices even in circulated condition.

slackaction1 and bryantallard like this.
  5. Incharge

Incharge Active Member

6. bradgator2

bradgator2 Well-Known Member

My dad gave me hundreds of these notes. He just always pulled it aside when he saw the star. I went through each one and found a few that were from fairly rare runs. He didnt care, and I had no interest, so I put them on the Bay for basically just over face value. No interest. I even offered them to the guy who runs that website. No interest. So I put them as a one huge bundle at face value plus enough to cover ebay, paypal, and shipping charge and it eventually sold. Even that took some time.

7. ewomack

ewomack 魚の下着

I just started exploring this entire collectible genre very recently and, though I find it interesting and enjoyable, it definitely seems to fit the category "niche market." It feels much smaller than coins in many way, but I don't have a full sense of it yet. Please correct me if I've interpreted things wrongly.

8. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I think you named them, condition, run size, number printed and fancy numbers.

bryantallard likes this.
  9. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Like anything else in life, learning all of the intricate ins and outs of what makes a note more valuable can take many, many years. Just ask members like: @SteveInTampa, @mpcusa, @Numbers or others. Read, study, learn and you can still be surprised. Good luck on your endeavor.

bryantallard and Hookman like this.
  10. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

Great collections, like the Eric P Newman collection, that were collected over many years are good examples of what the hobby is all about. Star notes made up some of his collection but were definitely not the focus.

Star notes, especially low denomination modern star notes, are popular with new collectors because they are often found in circulation and it doesn’t break the bank to keep them.

Another great collection, the Bebee Collection, assembled by Aubrey and Adeline Bebee is another collection focused on quality examples of both large and small size notes that can be viewed here, http://ana-museum.org/ . I never get tired of looking at their notes.

bryantallard likes this.
  11. Legomaster1

Legomaster1 Cointalk Patron

bryantallard likes this.
  12. HaleiwaHI

HaleiwaHI Active Member

In short, what makes star notes valuable is how much value you put on it and convince others that it's worth what you claim! What I like, you may not. I like all star notes as collectable. It's just fun to collect them, but I wouldn't pay for one unless it was vintage.

bryantallard and Collecting Nut like this.
  13. TheMont

TheMont Well-Known Member

I guess it depends on who you ask and where you're located. I collect star notes, but certain conditions have to be met. If the note is prior to 1928 and is what is commonly called a horse blanket, if it has a star on it I want it. If it's a modern note, I only collect them if they are in crisp uncirculated condition. Having said that, one of my favorite star notes is a 1928 Silver Certificate, which is a smaller sized note. It graded out to a 50, so it's not uncirculated, but it still one of my favorites. Members of my coin club collect them, and when we have our spring and fall shows, the dealers try to make sure they have a few in stock. I also have a BEP half sheet of $2 Bill's, that are star notes, hanging on my den wall. The saying in coin collecting, "collect what you like", also applies to notes.

bryantallard likes this.
  14. Dynoking

Dynoking Well-Known Member

After all of the parameters you listed then it comes down to what someone will pay for it

bryantallard and HaleiwaHI like this.
  15. Endeavor

Endeavor Well-Known Member

Supply vs Demand

bryantallard likes this.
  16. HaleiwaHI

HaleiwaHI Active Member

Often it takes a good salesman to create the demand.

bryantallard, midas1 and Endeavor like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted