What made you start collecting coins?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by B12, Dec 4, 2005.

1. Islander80-83

Islander80-83 Well-Known Member

Get outta here!! Yes, it was Newsday!! icon_smile_thumbsup.gif I had 90 papers. I almost did the LI Press. Glad I didn't!

green18 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Yeah, the LI Press was a close competitor but Newsday gave out awards for getting new subscribers. I remember going to the movies on their dime....Battle of the Bulge and Cheyenne Autumn.

Islander80-83 likes this.
  4. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

No, I do not collect any of their contemporary medals. I do like their almost completely unknown (outside of Korea) medals they made in the 1970s and 1980s. The jump came from the time I had spent in Korea for about three years working. The Lincolns made me wonder about Korean coins, the key dates, etc. I noticed that there is almost zero information in the English language about a lot of Korean-releated topics, coins being one of them. That's when I started working on researching these coins, too.

JeffC and masterswimmer like this.
  5. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Mine was the same coin. My mother had a VG 1944, (her birthyear), in an old plastic bank. At the age of 3 I learned how to open it, and would look at this coin almost every day. When she passed away, that is all I wanted, that little plastic bank and that half dollar.

I now own BU WL rolls, probably 1000 junk silver WL halves, but would trade all of them for that crummy VG coin of hers if I had to. :)

Walkerfan and -jeffB like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted