What Loupe magnification is best?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by LuxUnit, Oct 27, 2017.

1. LuxUnit

LuxUnit Well-Known Member

I have a cheap 10x mag loupe I bought and it doesnt seem to cut it for looking at doubling and such. What do you all use?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

I have a 16x loupe that I bought from Hobby Lobby. I think it is a Whitman.

4. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

For details such as that I use a scanner with a huge magnification. Not sure what, but 19200 pixels per inch.

5. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Generally speaking, 10x should be sufficient for most varieties. However, I too used to use a 16x, but going much higher isn't likely to offer much in the way of benefits or trade-offs.

Regardless of what you do, though, please don't cheap out. Low quality glass is simply too stressful on the eyes, so if you're going to be using it a lot, do seriously think about paying up for something genuinely nice.

Also, and as somewhat of an aside, if you do go cheap, you should be aware of the fact that many inexpensive loupes (Chinese) are advertised as being of a different power than they really are. There used to be ones, particularly on eBay, that were offered as 10x, 20x, or 30x when really they were all the same but with a different printed-on power.

6. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

Get a high quality one that'll literally last you your lifetime.

Bausch and Lomb Hastings Triplet loupes are good. 10x is good.

Oldhoopster likes this.
  7. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

I am partial to the BelOmo 10x Triplet Loupe ($33 on Amazon.)

What I've found is that with the loupes commonly found in coin shops and hobby shops is that either one of the following is true:

1) The glass is low quality, making it more difficult to get a clear image.
    2) The viewing area (size of the glass) is too small. This is especially true of many higher powered loupes...yes, you can get closer...but it's like you're looking through a keyhole. This is true of my 20x BelOmo loupe, which has a viewing area that is much, much smaller than the 10x...so I never use it. I might have even given it away...

IMO, a loupe is absolutely not something you want to go cheap on. The money I've spent on this loupe has paid itself back again and again and again. Think of it as two cheap silver dollars (or one decent one.) Wouldn't you spend that kind of money on a tool that you get a ton of use out of for a number of years (as long as you don't lose it?)

I would.

As an example: I still have an old school Craftsman vise grips that I've had for almost 20 years. I'd buy two more if they still made them like that...but they just don't. The new (cheaper) ones break. The new ones don't work properly all the time, and I've injured myself using other people's cheap tools.

There's no reason to get crazy and spend three figures on a loupe...but a super nice $33 one? That is what I'd call a great investment.

(Posted realizing that most likely people will still go and waste money on a cheap loupe, especially because coin shop owners usually only carry cheap ones...so of course they're going to say they will work - because they want to sell product.)

Oldhoopster likes this.
  8. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

7x Hastings Triplit is my weapon of choice......

9. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

For varieties, the Bausch & Lomb 10x Hastings triplet or Belomo 10x are what I'd recommend. The inexpensive, larger "16x" doublet is not a good loupe.

Oldhoopster likes this.
  10. ToddB67

ToddB67 Junior Member

As alluded at 2) in post #6, as the power of magnification increases, the field of view decreases. Also, with the higher power loupes, unless you have one with battery-powered illumination, or arrange a special light setup, you will have to get so close to the object being inspected that your head blocks out ambient light .

IMO, a nice compromise is 10X, as it gives a decent field of view and will be sufficient to spot most coin errors. I use a Bausch & Lomb purchased from an out-of-state seller through Amazon, so didn't have to pay tax.

There are many aspects to consider when making the right choice of a loupe that's best for your purposes and your pocketbook. The following link will educate and help you make the right decision. http://njminerals.org/loupes.html

Hope this helps! :)

ToddB67

11. LuxUnit

LuxUnit Well-Known Member

Awesome recommendations! Ill take a look guys, thank you.

12. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Something that is usually missing is instructions on how to use a loupe/magnifying lens. People may complain about the light or not being able to see doubling or other significant items on coin, but it is not the lens fault, it is the way it is being used/ 10X not only magnifies the coin area 10X, it magnifies any "shake" your hand is doing also. For an experienced coin collector, they actually do better for those quick exams out of a case at a show with a good 3X , 5X, lens. If you then think you see something, sit down, brace both elbows on a table and use a higher power lens if you have one, or borrow the dealers 10X. At shows I see people standing up or bending over, holding the magnifier with one bent arm, about 6 inches from the coin held in the other outstretched arm. They couldn't see a DD unless it was the 72/72 or 55/55 Lincolns, certainly not the single squeeze doubling they call DD today.

Here is a link to a jewelry site where they talk about how to hold and use the magnifier on gems....which is harder than coins where you just look at the surface and not down inside a diamond. There are others, some with video on the web. Maybe it will help. Jim

http://thejewelryloupe.com/how-to-use-a-jewelry-loupe/

13. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

You can always wear a headpiece like watchmakers do. That'll help with the shaking (there are other ones for those of you with glasses). Here's a pic with George Clooney wearing one as an Ambassador to Omega:

[​IMG]

14. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

That picture is one white lab coat away from creepy mad scientist.

15. Cathleen Collecting

Cathleen Collecting New Member

TY I been looking on amazon for an hour. I have decided to go with this is one. Pls tell- should inbuy 2 one with higher mag or just the 10?

Older, eyes not great, ID jewelry marks and coins

Thank you for your detailed review

Cathleen

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2019
  16. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

I have both, and I've found that the viewing area on the higher power loupe isn't really all that user-friendly (in other words, the glass is much smaller than in the 10x and makes it difficult to even use properly.) The magnification level on the 10x is fine, just fine, for seeing varieties.

Draft saved Draft deleted