What kind of things walk into Matt's shop.

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by LostDutchman, Nov 7, 2012.

1. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Right side of screen......half way down........"The Coin Show". Worth the listen......:)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. LostDutchman

LostDutchman Under Staffed & Overly Motivated Supporter

Well after this coin was bagged by NGC I tossed it into the safe and just wanted to think about it. I decided to give it one more shot at PCGS... It went into an AU53 holder today.

4. Bedford

Bedford Lackey For Coin Junkies

Awesome ! Glad to hear that it made it in - she deserved to be !

5. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

So much for TPG consistency huh? I have said it before, most coins in TPG holders are there at the highest POSSIBLE grade, not necessarily the appropriate one.

Grats on getting it in though. It was a nice coin that was given a bad rap.

6. Tinpot

Tinpot Well-Known Member

How much is this coin worth in a AU-Details, and how much is it worth as AU-53 approximately?

Tks for anyone with knowledge, just curious and have no idea of its value.

If its inappropriate to ask a coins value if not requested by the owner, please disregard.

7. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

Sounds like you are coming around to my to my way of thinking regarding gradeflation rather than a conscious change in grading standards by the TPG's.

8. medoraman

I have always thought both really Paul. I always thought the huge amount of crackers will ensure a coin rarely is in an undergraded slab, yet still believe there has been "movement" in grading standards. A poster child of that is how AU coins are now graded MS, and the TPGers admit it.

9. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

I agree that the TPG's made a conscious choice to change the way the grade coins with respect to cabinet/roll friction.

10. green18

Depending on the series it could be quite a lot. In classic commems, 'details' graded coins go for a fraction of what a true grade goes for........

11. ArthurK11

ArthurK11 Active Member

AU details I'll say about $2-4000, AU53 about $10-12000

12. Red84GT

Red84GT New Member

Some nice coins in this thread.

13. kookoox10

kookoox10 ANA #3168546

That's a considerable spread.

14. medoraman

Hate to be a jerk, but I am, but it brings up the question of "why" is it? We just proved on a given day a coin can be labeled a problem coin or not. What is causing the extreme prices? Is this system REALLY in the collectors best interest, or someone elses?

15. Mr. Flute

Mr. Flute Well-Known Member

It's clearly in the best interest of those that wish to generate profits from the coin collecting market. Is that good or bad? I think it's neither.

It just emphasizes the importance of educating oneself about the "market" and making an informed decision about the extent of your interaction with it.

16. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Was it ? Do you deny the scratches are there ? I mean, I can see them plain as day, so how was that a bad rap ?

Ask yourself this question, if it were a common date Lib that sold for roughly melt in that condition - same scratches - would you grade the coin or put it in a Details/Genuine slab ? Also, what would the TPGs do ?

99 out of a 100 times it's going in the D/G slab. And that's the problem I see. There should be no favoritism shown by the TPGs because of a coin's rarity or value. If a cheap common coin would be determined to be a problem coin for a given reason, then an expensive coin should be determined to be problem coin when the same reason exist.

Now the inconsistent part I'll go along with. That has existed since day one and always will. There have been countless examples of coins that were deemed problem coins (for various reasons) one time and slabbed the next time. That is nothing new.

17. medoraman

You know scratches completely depend on severity as to whether they are treated as damage or wear. AGAIN, another reason why the US system is silly, and net details remaining is all that matters.

Anyway, I did not find the scratches on that coin distracting at all. I would say this 1818 half liberty, of an 1888, or a 1911 all should be in a problem free holder if similar. Yes, I have seen many early coins being given passes, but this one to me was not distracting.

Just my opinion.

18. green18

Chris, in terms of what I collect....classic commems.......coins that I have seen in the details holders have been obviously dinked with and (my opinion) are really a turn off.

19. Cazkaboom

Cazkaboom One for all, all for me.

Congrats on the re-grade. My thoughts on TPG consistency will remain to be mine in this thread, but I'll say it did not deserve a details grade either way.

20. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

You really can't say anything about TPG consistancy with this coin because the first time it went to NGC and the second time it went to PCGS. No service had a chance to show whether they were consistant or not. What would be interesting now would be whether or not it would cross if sent back to NGC.

21. kookoox10

kookoox10 ANA #3168546

No problem Chris and to be honest I was seeing if Arthur's post was typed in jokingly. He mentioned $2-$4000, I was digging if he really did mean two dollars or $2000.00. As far as the details coin sales, they are all over the place and I think the current market sets what a coin indeed sells for. And rarity and availability play a huge part in whether they achieve that top end of the range.

Draft saved Draft deleted