What kind of things walk into Matt's shop.

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by LostDutchman, Nov 7, 2012.

1. gunnovice09

gunnovice09 Nothing

Thanks for the info

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

All are very cool Matt.

4. mill rat41

mill rat41 Member

Nice to see you back in these here parts, Clembo.

5. Hawkwing74

Hawkwing74 Member

Nice thread, I love the pictures. The trade dollar is gorgeous.

6. clembo

clembo A closed mind is no mind

Nice to see you in person today!

7. pumpkinpie

pumpkinpie what is this I don*t even

Nice coins! I was at the shop today and will post my coins in the NEWP thread!

8. LostDutchman

LostDutchman Under Staffed & Overly Motivated Supporter

Here is an update... I thought they were a little harsh on the 1818 $5... the coin has a vertical scuff on the cheek and can only easily be seen with a low angle light... but alas still a great coin and one I'm happy to own and offer to my clients.
    1818 cert.jpg 1818 obv.jpg

9. lonegunlawyer

lonegunlawyer Numismatist Esq.

I don't understand. With a scale from 1-70, they could't find a place for it?

10. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

Thanks for the update, Matt.

Sorry and a bit surprised to read it didn't get the problem-free slab.

I think that should be resubmitted at least once. :) Simply too much upside, IMO.

11. medoraman

medoraman Supporter! Supporter

Looks harsh to me too. It gets into the fine line between normal wear and what constitutes "damage". From your photo I believe its way too harsh a judgment.

Bandsaw her free. She was too cute to get stuck in plastic anyway. :)

12. ArthurK11

ArthurK11 Active Member

What's the price tag on this bad boy?

13. Troodon

Troodon Coin Collector

Scratch doesn't seem bad enough to get "details" IMO, but OK. Still wouldn't be something I'd mind owning if it were within my means to do so lol... that coin is really nice.

14. Coinstruck

Coinstruck ANA BR-3167585

I so want to watch Coin Stars.

And what a beautiful coin!

15. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

I can't believe that the 1818 got a details grade, way to harsh. I have St. Gaudens with much heavier scratches get a grade. Crack her out.

16. Phil Ham

Phil Ham Hamster

It is nice to see some of the coins that you talk about on the radio show. Thanks for the pic's and great thanks to the show. I'm an addict!

17. texmech

texmech Wanna be coin collector

At the risk of learning some what do you mean by "detail grade"? Is that similar to a Morgan being "proof like"?

18. medoraman

medoraman Supporter! Supporter

"Details" mean the TPG will not grade it in the normal manner. They said that coin was AU details but scratched. A "details" grade is by definition a problem coin, worth far less than a regular AU coin would be.

19. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Details grade is a consolation to what the graders used to do back years ago. Back then, if the coin in question was a problem coin, they'd just send the coin back to you with no grade at all. It's what they used to call 'body bagging'. Now, they'll slab the problem coin and give it a grade based on what it might have gotten had there been no problems with it (details grade).

20. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

On the bright side, the details grade does guarantee authenticity, which is no small thing with a coin this valuable.

21. easj3699

easj3699 Well-Known Member

radio show??

Draft saved Draft deleted