What kind of things walk into Matt's shop.

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by LostDutchman, Nov 7, 2012.

1. LostDutchman

LostDutchman Under Staffed & Overly Motivated Supporter

I am very lucky that I get to see some of the most amazing coins in the world walk in our store. I wanted to start a thread and chronicle some of the cooler things that come into the store.

Hope you enjoy!

Today a customer walked in with this coin. We decided to send it to NGC for the customer and then will be making an offer on it.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

4. Juan Blanco

Juan Blanco New Member

This is obviously another 'thou-shalt-covet-thy-neighbor's-Gold' thread :yes:

5. bsowa1029

bsowa1029 Franklin Half Addict

Beautiful coin.
    What is the rarity and value of it?

6. GreatWalrus

GreatWalrus WHEREZ MAH BUKKIT

Very beautiful.

7. LostDutchman

This is a very rare coin in this condition and has a value in the low 5 figures.

8. Bedford

Bedford Lackey For Coin Junkies

I'll be the 1st to call the grade - Im gonna say it will come back AU55. Very nice piece.

9. statequarterguy

statequarterguy Love Pucks

Very nice, but how often do you see something like that walk in? My experience is 90% of walk ins are junk I don't want.

10. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

That is really nice. I don't know much about the double eagles, but I like die cracks so I looked on google to see if I could find one that matched yours. The one that does, IMO is this one on http://www.harrybassfoundation.org/basscatalogs/BASSSALE2/b2-2-c.htm which shows a "806 1818 Breen-6470, B-2B. Rarity-4. STATESOF. MS-64 (PCGS). Sharply struck with frosty deep orange-gold lustre and very minor surface marks. The reverse die was rotated clockwise about 45°. Very minor adjustment marks are noted at center of reverse. PCGS Population: 3; 1 finer (MS-66)." Do you think this is the same variety?

Here's a comparison of the lower half of the obverse, showing the die crack in that portion:

Attached Files:

11. LostDutchman

I definitely agree... Most of the stuff that walks in is mundane and common... We do see 1-3 coins a month that I would consider really rare.

12. LostDutchman

That looks like the same die pair to me.

13. Bedford

Bedford Lackey For Coin Junkies

Agreed -

14. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

It is definitely the same obv.

15. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

Proud owner of some of the stuff that traipsed into your store.

16. coinguy-matthew

coinguy-matthew Ike Crazy

I really enjoy the interesting info and coins you post on here for our viewing pleasure, a lot of them i would never have seen.....

17. lonegunlawyer

lonegunlawyer Numismatist Esq.

That is a beautifully well struck coin with great details! One of these days I need to quit this whole law thing. :)

PS Interesting avatar change scottishmoney. Also, live north of the midwest?

18. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

My puppy, "Лёда" -Lyoda or ice in English.

19. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

Looks like she could be a wolf-shepard mix. (not to be insulting if she's not).

20. Ardatirion

Ardatirion Où est mon poisson

That is the most awesome insult I have ever heard. :D

21. kookoox10

kookoox10 ANA #3168546

I think LostDutchman's reputation is gaining lots of interest with those who own some really unique and low mintage pieces. Think of it as Pawn Stars little cousin Coin Stars, those guys get some really rare and oddball stuff, right down your alley Matt.

Draft saved Draft deleted