What kind of currency is this?

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Cecilia, Aug 14, 2015.

1. Cecilia

Cecilia New Member

I've had this currency for a while. I am not sure where exactly it is from, but I am guessing Ukraine, 1994. I know its not used anymore, but I am very interested in learning the story behind it if anyone knows it. Thanks. 20150812_144147.jpg 20150812_144205.jpg

paddyman98 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Cecilia likes this.
  4. lettow

lettow Senior Member

These notes are from Transnistria, a breakaway portion of Moldova bordering on Ukraine.

Cecilia likes this.
  5. doug5353

doug5353 Well-Known Member

Your notes are from Transnistria, shown here, and priced at 75 cents each:
    http://www.babylonbanknotes.com/transnistria.html

Just saw this is Wikipedia: "...Transnistria, Nagorno-Karabakh, Abkhazia, and South Ossetia are post-Soviet "frozen conflict" zones. These four partially recognized states maintain friendly relations with each other and form the Community for Democracy and Rights of Nations

All 4 entities are notorious for issuing lots of stamps (solely for collectors) of dubious authenticity.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2015
    Cecilia likes this.
  6. Cecilia

Cecilia New Member

Thanks! This really makes me happy.

paddyman98 likes this.
  7. doug5353

Tayikistan -- if you are thinking of Tajikistan, that's over north of Pakistan, thousands of miles from the Ukraine.

8. Cecilia

Cecilia New Member

I was assuming Ukraine because I was searching the "kynoh" that's written on the front of these bills. All that kept popping up in my searches was Ukraine. That's the only reason I assumed it was from there. Thanks everyone for the info, I feel more at ease now.

9. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I can't tell you anything about those notes, Cecilia, but welcome to the neighborhood just the same.

Chris

Cecilia likes this.
  10. doug5353

#51 Ukraine note.jpeg The word купон means "coupon" in Russian, but may also mean banknote. Your guess was pretty good, since Transnistria shares a long border with Ukraine.

Here is an Ukrainian note of the same period, the word Ukraine appears at upper left, starting with the Roman letters "ykp...."

You can see with a face value of 200,000 somethings, Ukraine has had a tad of inflation.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2015
    Cecilia likes this.
  11. Cecilia

Cecilia New Member

That's cool stuff. Thanks

12. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

A few years ago I made a somewhat not quite approved "visit" to Transdnestr - one of the curious factors of the breakup of the Soviet Union was that it often had roads that crossed the boundaries of the constituent republics so that before the current war in Ukraine meant it was possible to travel thru Transdnestr in order to shortcut and save about 100km on a drive to Izmail in the very south of Ukraine near the mouth of the Danube river.

These notes have been replaced by the world's first plastic coins in the past couple of years.

Cecilia likes this.
  13. doug5353

"Thanks! This really makes me happy..."

Um, our job is not to make you happy; our job is to make you ecstatic! :woot: Or maybe even gobsmacked, a state of incredulity which leaves ecstatic in the dust...

Cecilia likes this.
  14. Jim Hatch

Jim Hatch Member

Those 3 notes are indeed Transnistria Pick # 16, 17 and 18.

SteveInTampa likes this.
  15. Cecilia

Cecilia New Member

Ok, so here is 2 more that I have no idea what they are. Thanks everyone for your awesome help! 20150818_123221.jpg 20150818_123231.jpg

16. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

The "pink" note is from Belarus (50 rubles), the yellowish one is from Mongolia (1 tugrik). Sorry, I don't know about catalog numbers ...

Christian

Cecilia likes this.
  17. Jim Hatch

Jim Hatch Member

Mongolia is Pick # 61A
    Belarus is Pick # 7

18. Cecilia

Cecilia New Member

Thank you. :) I love learning about this kind of stuff. Now I know what to look for!

19. Cecilia

Cecilia New Member

im sorry, but what are you talking about?

20. Jim Hatch

Jim Hatch Member

Hi Cecilia, Sorry I didn't know you didn't know.
    I am referring to the Standard Catalog of World Paper Money - or SCWPM for short.
    It has been a long time standard for World banknote collectors and Albert Pick setup a numbering system for World banknotes. Thus called Pick numbers, P-##, p##,P.## etc.
    There are 3 large volumes that are used. 1) for specialized issues, 2) for general issues 1368 to 1960, and 3) for general issues 1961 to date.
    Hope that helps a little.

chrisild likes this.
  21. kolyan760

kolyan760 Well-Known Member

Transnistria has nothing to do with Ukraine , its actually part of Moldova Republic which controlled by Russian separatists government.

Draft saved Draft deleted