What kind hammered coins those are?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by zenker, May 29, 2017.

1. zenker

zenker New Member

I guess they could be somekind german coins?

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

You have some very intriguing medieval coins here.

Some of the designs look vaguely familiar but not enough for me to identify personally.

The top left example with the slight bend to it appears to me to be from roughly the Viking period, though I'm not suggesting it's a Viking coin, necessarily- just from that general era.

Merovingian, maybe? I don't know. I'll tag @FitzNigel, who is the first member who comes to mind that might be able to help.

4. ro1974

ro1974 Well-Known Member

All i say those are beauties[​IMG]

5. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Looks like fun stuff, I'm sure someone knows something about them, just be patient.

6. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

Very interesting! It would probably help if you posted higher resolution photos of the coins individually... then our experts could see the legends better.

7. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

It may take me a little to figure just what they all are, but I'm suspecting Spanish for a couple - the reverse short cross with wedges and pellets strikes me as being from Barcelona, but the type was widely imitated...

8. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

Scratch that thought - the Spanish Coins are long cross, not short cross... hrm...

9. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

Okay, top right is German - Otto III & Adelheid (r. 984-995)
    A very nice example of the type too

10. Severus Alexander

11. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

I think we're talking about the same coin - the picture is rotated 90 degrees

12. Severus Alexander

:shame:

13. Severus Alexander

Bottom left, with the coins oriented correctly (as FitzNigel sensibly did!)... Henry II, the last emperor of the Ottonian dynasty, 1002-1024, denar, possibly of the Regensburg mint. Very exciting! (And very valuable!)

https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=567291

FitzNigel likes this.
  14. alde

alde Always Learning

Those are some interesting coins. They would be a blast to research. I think a couple may be German and maybe a couple eastern Europe. Probably 11th Century or there abouts. Just layman's guesses though.

15. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

Good catch! I'm struggling with the others, but also not putting a whole lot of effort in (German Coins interest me, but I haven't delved deep into them...)

Severus Alexander likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted