What is your rarest modern US coin

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Leif Erik Johansen, Sep 17, 2021.

1. CRC

CRC New Member

Iv got a 2017 nickel in perfect condition. It's greyish black and has no scratches. Its the same color as the black beauty

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

That sounds like environmental damage or something similar.Black beauty nickels were really only referred to those that date 1958-59.I think they were some kind of error had nothing to do with just color.Start your own thread and provide clear pictures of the coin in question.

4. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

A black beauty is an improperly annealed planchet. The black Beauty name was given to those nickels of the late 50's.
    Improperly annealed planchets have been found in many years of clad and mixed alloys even to this day.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2021
    potty dollar 1878 likes this.
  5. potty dollar 1878

Got it;)can't remember everything precisely:oldman::oldman:.

6. ernie11

ernie11 Member

Don't have a photo, but mine is the 2008-W 1/2-ounce Eagle, platinum. Mintage 2,253. I think it still holds the title for lowest mintage in the platinum series.

7. Hambone1946

Hambone1946 Well-Known Member

Haven't seen this one yet. 1997 P Matte Jefferson Obv.jpg 1997 P Matte Jefferson Rev.jpg
    1997 P Matte Jefferson from Botanical Gardens set Mintage 25000

8. Dynoking

Dynoking Well-Known Member

furryfrog02 likes this.
  9. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Yup. :)
    Back in ~April 2013. I'd only been CRH'ing for a few months. Definitely peaked early hahaha.

Dynoking likes this.
  10. potty dollar 1878

I've only been doing for a few years now wish I started this quite awhile ago.

furryfrog02 likes this.
  11. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Me too. I started in early 2013. Missed out on so many years of good stuff. Especially the run up of silver.

12. potty dollar 1878

Just confirmed my first Doubled die;)from CRH.Its a 1972 BU nice mostly red you've probably seen the thread about it.Now i have to look through the rest when there's one certainly at least a few more.

13. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

And then there is the 1994 P Jefferson from the Coin and Currency set. Two Jefferson's that are necessary for a complete set. Not a very good photo as it is still in the OMP. I have both sets to complete my Jefferson collection.
    210919210643150.jpg 210919210611098.jpg

potty dollar 1878 likes this.
  14. COOPER12

COOPER12 Well-Known Member

Probably my two clashed Silver Eagles. Not sure how many examples of each there are but I have not seen that many.

Screen Shot 2021-05-28 at 10.00.50 PM.jpg Screen Shot 2021-05-28 at 10.01.11 PM.jpg IMG_8622.jpg IMG_8623.jpg

15. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Okay, you got it by fluke?

Story?

We need the story

Inspector43 likes this.
  16. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

Yes, I want to know how?

17. Mac McDonald

Mac McDonald Well-Known Member

I only made mention of that so as to indicate that I never could/would have spent that kind of money on a coin...way out of my league. Some guy advertised it as MS66RD and I got it for less than $10...when the coin arrived it was a 68RD, not a 66. I contacted him and he either was inexperienced or maybe too busy and not understanding what I was trying to convey...he said "forget it," so I did. This was a year ago or more...never heard from him again.

Treashunt likes this.
  18. Skyman

Skyman Well-Known Member

Anyone here read the book or see the movie, "The Right Stuff"? In it Gus Grissom, the second American in space, takes some dimes with him in space. In reality this was 100 dimes, all of which that I have seen have been 1961-D (I own one of these). The flight was in July 1961.

When the spacecraft landed the hatch blew out, and the spacecraft sank. Gus was still thought of very highly by the other astronauts and he was given the privilege and distinction to command the first Gemini mission, GT-3 (T stands for Titan, the launch rocket). Grissom named the capsule the Molly Brown and NASA management had a fit. Thereafter they clamped down on astronauts naming spacecraft until Apollo 9 in 1969 (when there were two spacecraft flying, so they needed to distinguish between them).

GT-3 launched in March 1965. During the mission it became the first spacecraft in human history to change it's orbit.

Anyhow, on GT-3 Grissom brought only one dime with him, a 1964. After the flight, he took out the coin and the mission survival knife and scratched GT-3 into the dime with the knife. He then gave the coin to Guenter Wendt, who was in charge of spacecraft close-out just before the spacecraft launched. I was lucky enough to buy it. I now own the only dime that Grissom flew on GT-3, so I now am the only person to own a complete set of Grissom flown dimes, one from the second American spaceflight, on the Mercury capsule Liberty Bell 7, and the only one from the first Gemini mission, GT-3.

GT3obv5BIGsm.jpg
    GT3rev16adjusted.jpeg

19. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

20. potty dollar 1878

This is one of a kind:D:D;). 20210922_071552.jpg 20210922_071531.jpg

Skyman and COOPER12 like this.
  21. Skyman

Skyman Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted