What is your opinion about this coin?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by paschka, Jun 26, 2019.

1. paschka

paschka Well-Known Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

My opinion is that I'd like to know more about it.
    Weight, size, where'd it come from?

paschka likes this.
  4. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

A bit ostentatious, what with all the countermarks on the obverse--makes the person in the portrait seem a little vain.

paschka likes this.
  5. paschka

paschka Well-Known Member

14 Gramm , Tetradrachm. Khersones. 290-280 BC.

6. kevin McGonigal

kevin McGonigal Well-Known Member

I love ancients with countermarks. When I get one, I don't rest until I find out the "who" and "what" of why they would up on the coin. Any theories on this one?

paschka and Marsyas Mike like this.
  7. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

A most unusual and attractive coin. I've only been collecting countermarked ancients for a couple years now, so I don't know a lot. I've looked at a lot of stuff online and I have never seen anything quite like this. It will be interesting to see what you find out about it.

Before I collected ancients, I collected modern countermarks, for a very long time. It is a field of numismatics that is rife with counterfeits and fantasies. Some of these fakes had a tendency to be "numismatically beautiful" to an extent that was hard to believe - a Philippines and an Azores and an Imperial Portuguese countermark all on the same 8 reales.

One of the traits of the "numismatically beautiful" countermark is the tendency for the countermark to be carefully applied so a minimum amount of damage is done to the host coin. Some ancient coins were carefully countermarked - the Macedonian helmet countermark on Antigonos II Gontatos is always found centered on the host coin's helmet of Athena - out of respect for the goddess, I assume.

CM Macedon - Antigonas Gonatas countermark Dec 18-Jan 19 (0).jpg

Macedonia Kingdom Æ 16
    Antigonos II Gonatas
    (277/6-239 BC)
    Uncertain Macedonia mint

Helmeted head of Athena right / Pan rt. erecting trophy; B[A] across, Macedonian helmet l., monogram between legs, [wreath right].
    SNG Copenhagen 1205
    (5.31 grams / 16 mm)
    Countermark: Boeotian cavalry helmet (?) in 5mm circle. Note: Common countermark but rarely described; helmet comes from a nice example from Noble Roman Coins.

But most of the time, countermarks seem more haphazard than this - and ugly:

CM Byzantium cm Dec 2017 (2).JPG

Byzantium
    CM on Macedonian
    Kingdom Philip III Arrhidaios drachm
    Kolophon? (c. 323-319 B.C.)
    Countermark: 280-225 B.C.

Head of Herakles right, wearing lion-skin. / FILIPPOU Zeus seated left, monogram left.
    Countermark: ΠU over prow.
    SCGV 1585 (countermark)
    (4.00 grams / 17 mm)

I bring this up only because the OP is indeed "numismatically beautiful" - the countermarks are uniformly well-struck (except the off-center dolphin) and all appear to have the same amount of wear, and are positioned in such a way that the host coin is still visible. This does not mean it is not genuine - I do not know enough to make that call. But I would do some digging - perhaps post it on FORVM - there are a couple of countermark collectors there who have astonishing collections.

Thanks for sharing it - it is a wonderful-looking and interesting coin.

paschka, Volodya and Bing like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted