What is your oldest (non-ancient) coin?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by bugo, Jan 21, 2015.

1. louise lind

louise lind New Member

1776 says American liberty

Attached Files:

coinman1234 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mrweaseluv

mrweaseluv Supporter! Supporter

I believe that is a copy louise of a NH liberty tree half cent. IF not a copy is worth big bucks :D say 30k in AG :D

coinman1234 likes this.
  4. louise lind

louise lind New Member

Oh wow thank for that,so what are the possibilities of it actually being real and is there a way to find out without it getting graded are any authentic markings that an original would have that I should look for

coinman1234 likes this.
  5. mrweaseluv

mrweaseluv Supporter! Supporter

I would probably start by asking here (posting good pics of both sides) and if thought real check next with a local dealer I trust.

6. louise lind

louise lind New Member

So if a copy would it be worth even the time of getting a grated or would it be more like a situation where they would perhaps want it out of circulation

7. louise lind

louise lind New Member

Attached Files:

8. louise lind

louise lind New Member

Attached Files:

9. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

My oldest non-ancient coin is this medieval Umayyad Caliphate silver dirham, minted in the year 738 CE (AD for you old timers).

Umayyad Dirham of Caliph Hisham ibn Abd' al-Malik.jpg

I thought it was a cool thread. Sorry for the revival, but it's not like it's a 3 or 4 year old thread either.

Gilbert, J.A.K. and chrisild like this.
  10. kaosleeroy108

kaosleeroy108 The Mahayana Tea Shop & hobby center

The oldest coin I have is a widow mite and a few Roman coins, either than that fugio 4 cinq, and 1783 Washington and Independence

11. Omegaraptor

Omegaraptor Gobrecht/Longacre Enthusiast

World: 1562 (Hungary)
    US colonial: 1738 half reale (I guess it counts, Spanish coins were used more than US coins prior to 1857)
    US Mint: 1798 large cent

12. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

Pushed my oldest back a bit since last I posted here. Henry VIII groat 1526-44.

[​IMG]

13. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

1714 Russian Kopek Peter the Great silver wire coin

EDIT: Looking to sell though so...

My second oldest coin, the 1776 FM Mexico 8 Reales (Mexico City), which was possibly used in the American colonies as the de facto standard currency when the Declaration of Independence was writ.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2016
  14. NSP

NSP Well-Known Member

My oldest coin is a 1799 British halfpenny, and my oldest American coin is an 1805 large cent. Both are in pretty sad shape, but hey, they're mine, so I'm happy!!

15. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

Just so we are clear, my Arabic coin above is not my oldest coin, but it is my oldest non-ancient. My oldest coin dates back to 650-600 BCE, which is at the dawn of coinage and 1,300 years older than the medieval Islamic coin I posted.

16. serafino

serafino Well-Known Member

1689 silver coin from Naples, Italy

17. jlogan

jlogan Well-Known Member

Half Cent: 1807
    Cent: 1797
    2c: 1864
    3c: 1854
    Half Dime: 1853
    Nickel:1869
    Dime: 1847
    Quarter: 1853
    Half: 1818
    Dollar: 1877
    Gold: 1877 ($20)

18. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Oldest coin in my all-US collection

IMG_20160806_152845.jpg

Gilbert and J.A.K. like this.
  19. jiadanza

jiadanza New Member

1643 France Double Tournois, from Plymouth, Mass. ... I bought this when I was 14yrs old and I took it out of the holder and then restapled it cuz I wanted to see the edge lol

Attached Files:

20. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

My oldest US coin, actually a US Colonial coin is this 1652 Massachusetts Pine Tree shilling, large planchet. It bears the date 1652, which is the date the minting operation was authorized. The coins, however, were probably struck as late as 1675.

lf (1).jpg lf (2).jpg

Last edited: Oct 13, 2016
  21. rp3989

rp3989 Active Member

Let's see....I have an 1875 German 10 Pfennig on the World Coin side and an 1845 Large Cent on the US side 1845 Large Cent Post Soak Obverse.JPG 1845 Large Cent Post Soak Reverse.JPG 1875 Germany 10 Pfennig ObverseSM.jpg 1875 Germany 10 Pfennig ReverseSM.jpg

Gilbert likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted