What is your most valuable coin?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Pavlos, Jul 15, 2018.

1. Johndakerftw

Johndakerftw Mr. Rogers is My Hero

Sweet coins everyone!

Here's the bro's most valuable coin:

Sd8k7EDjs2fR3GXzp6K3qg4ZmMR9QL.jpg

Here's my most $ valuble coin:

Attachment-19.jpeg Attachment-18.jpeg

The coin that is most valuable to me, personally. I am fortunate to have a few of these Widow's Mites:

Attachment-1 (11).jpeg

Erin

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Theodosius

Theodosius Fine Style Seeker

My most valuable coin is the first one I got as a gift as a kid. It took me years to figure out what it was and that it was real. A coin of Theodosius, thus my CT name:

Theodosius 1a.jpg
    I should have picked Telephantos, as that would be much more indicative of my main collecting interests. ;)

Pharsalos Drachm 1a.jpg
    https://www.cointalk.com/threads/a-signed-drachm-from-pharsalos.306647/

Here is a virtual tray of some recent coins I was lucky to find for their artistic portraits. The first one is supposed to be one of five known. The others are common but the dies vary a lot in artistic quality.
    4 Swans 1a.jpg
    John

4. arashpour

arashpour Well-Known Member

Johndakerftw likes this.
  5. Johndakerftw

Johndakerftw Mr. Rogers is My Hero

Thanks Arash!

Holding a 2400 yr old gold coin is crazy. My bro really liked the cartoonish king on it.

Erin

Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
    Theodosius likes this.
  6. arashpour

Nice Erin! Yea I know that is why all of us love coins to hold the history in our hands! Although Achaemenid coins were rather crude and simple in style but they are historically very important coins from the first super empire of world.

Johndakerftw likes this.
  7. JBGood

JBGood Collector of coinage Supporter

My most valuable coins...I'm a sucker for gold!

Kings of Thrace, Mithradates VI, AV Stater, 88-86 BC, Diademed head of Alexander the Great, Athena enthroned left; Delta I below armAMNG 482

Mithradates VI AV Stater.jpg

North Africa, Carthage EL Stater. Circa 310-270 BC. Wreathed head of Tanit left, wearing triple-pendant earring and necklace / Horse standing right on single ground line. Jenkins & Lewis, Group VI, 317ff. 7.41g, 18mm, 12h.

Carthage stater.jpg

8. arashpour

@JBGood Such beauties congrats! These should be very expensive how much did you get them for if you don't mind me ask? I dream have a greek or roman coin but nothing can be found under 3000$

9. ancientcoinguru

ancientcoinguru Well-Known Member

I also place the highest value on coins that are historical.

Raziyya was the first woman to rule a Muslim kingdom in her own name - quite an accomplishment! She was chosen by her father Iltutmish as the most capable person to rule after him, but (no surprise) she faced opposition from her Turkish nobles almost immediately. This specimen has her name on reverse.
    Raziya Sultan jital.jpg

10. Clavdivs

Clavdivs Well-Known Member

The most valuable coin to me (at the moment) is one that only cost me $6.49
    It mis-attributed by the seller (as a Hadrian .. I knew this was incorrect - but I was not sure what it was to be honest).. not only that but the pictures were terrible.
    But even with the terrible pictures I loved the idea of the reverse.. that made me bid as I had nothing like it at all.
    With help from the great people here on CT we got a solid attribution.
    That coupled with how nice the reverse actually is makes it something I really prize and I admire it often.

Sellers pic of reverse:

Bad pic.jpg

My picture (more like it is in hand) and the actual attribution:

Hadrian2Prov2MERGE.jpg
    Province Moesia Inferior
    City Markianopolis
    Size (mm) 16
    Weight (g) 2.99
    Die Axis 0
    Ob. Leg. M OPELLIC ANTWNEINOC
    Ob. Desc. Bare headed and draped bust of Diadumenian, right
    Meaning Marcus Opellius Antonius
    Rev. Leg. MARKIANO-POLEITWN
    Rev. Desc. Eros/Thanatos standing left, resting chin on palm, leaning on (extinguished) inverted brand
    Meaning (Coin) of the people of Markianopolis – A prince crowned by the gods
    References; Collection; Moushmov 591; Hristova/Jekov (V2) 6.25.41.1 (r6), p.127; Varbanov (Eng.) Vol.1. No. 1339; AMNG I 796, p. 251;
    Notes: Eros was worshiped as a fertility god and associated with love and sexual desire. Sometimes thought of as Thanatos, ‘god of death’, due to his association with the concept of life after death. The symbolism here, of the extinguished torch, may represent joy after sexual fulfilment, or hope for life after death.

I think it's awesome!

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
  11. RomanGreekCoin3

RomanGreekCoin3 Active Member

Its a good thing Rome had Scipio Africanus was around back then- he literally saved Rome from the Carthagenian general Hannibal

BTW , Nice carthagenian coins. I like them a well. Its kinda cool on how they were Romes Greatest enemy .

April

Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
Draft saved Draft deleted