What is your ICONIC coin?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by SwK, May 28, 2016.

1. SwK

SwK Junior Member

Coin collections and the passion for collecting have been passed down from generation to generation and they now form part of our history. But what makes a coin iconic for you?

Is it the design, the story behind the coin , eye appeal or simply the value?

Here is what I consider Iconic coins for me

EYE.jpg

dlhill132 and Paul M. like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SilverMike

SilverMike Well-Known Member

I thought about this a while, and it is hard to pick an iconic coin.

For me it is the history of the coin more than anything - thinking about where it might have been, who might have used it, and so on. When I first started collecting I liked blast white Morgans, but as I went along I realized that those coins - while very attractive - aren't nearly as interesting as an old crusty Morgan (like my avatar).

It is really interesting to consider how the events of the country (politics, economics, Wars) shaped the coin designs too.

spirityoda and Paul M. like this.
  4. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

it's the majestic lion, size, color, grade rarity. not to mention my avatar and my most expensive coin.

DSC_0721.JPG
    DSC_0724.JPG
    DSC_0734.JPG
    DSC_0736.JPG
    DSC_0744.JPG
    DSC_0758.JPG
    the white color is from the camera flash. in the hand it has a beautiful brown with some luster left. I love this coin.

Paul M. likes this.
  5. H8_modern

H8_modern Attracted to small round-ish art

I have to agree with SilverMike, it's much more about the history and travels of the coin. I have to nominate this one to be the iconic coin of my collection.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

SilverMike, mlov43 and Paul M. like this.
  6. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

The history and travels of numismatic pieces are a major part of this hobby for me, also. Sometimes, the story behind how a piece just came to be is interesting itself, and it doesn't have to be that old.

This Bank of Korea silver proof medal from 1975, the first minted by the South Korean Mint, is a favorite of mine.

Screen Shot 2016-05-28 at 8.04.02 PM.png

7. Jerry Curtis

Jerry Curtis Member

Attached Files:

8. Dancing Fire

Dancing Fire Junior Member

IMO, This is the most beautiful coin (design wise) ever minted by the U.S. IMG_3883.JPG IMG_3890.JPG

Draft saved Draft deleted