What is your favourite byzantine coin?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by asimakis karachalios, May 29, 2016.

?

Do you like byzantine coins?

Poll closed Dec 29, 2016.
  1. yes

2 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. no

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Thre are a lot of nice byzantine coins but my best is 40 nummi.It is struck in the Theoupolis Mint, is struck on a planchet measuring 42mm.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. World Colonial

World Colonial Active Member

I prefer the silver and bronze to the gold solidus which is generically very common and not scarce even in higher grades. I have seen a low number of silver with minimal circulation, centered strikes and good surfaces. The bronze seem to be the scarcest in this quality. I consider these a good numismatic value though don't expect much from them financially.

4. joecoincollect

joecoincollect Well-Known Member

That is a very nice coin. I am not that familiar with this coinage but I think most of the ancients I have are from this period. I like a medium sized one with two figures next to each other - they kind of look like aliens

5. willieboyd2

willieboyd2 First Class Poster

I have posted my favorite Byzantine coin before but like the bad follis it keeps coming back.

[​IMG]
    Byzantine Justinian (AD 527-565) AE Follis

Obverse: Diademed, draped, and cuirassed bust right / D N IVSTINI-ANVS PP AVG
    Reverse: Large letter "M", star left, cross top, cross right, Γ under large "M", CON in exergue
    Bronze, 30mm, 17.98gm
    Catalog: Sear 158
    Struck: AD 527-538 Constantinople

I bought this coin because the picture looked like a movie or TV space alien.
    And not a nice one.

:)

Last edited: May 30, 2016
  6. he he.Do you have other byzantine coins?Did you know that byzantine coins are greek?

Draft saved Draft deleted