What is Your Estimated Grade for this Coin?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by EatYourWheatPennies, Jan 3, 2018.

1. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

MS coins can’t have wear...so typically high point wear with loss of luster. But they can have hits and dings. The most common explanation is from hitting other coins inside bags.

This is why AU58 coins always look so much nicer than MS60 coins. The AU58 coins have a touch of high point wear but are going to be very clean looking. An MS60 won’t have the wear but will often have distracting dings and hits. While technically better they look much worse.

Honestly I’ve always thought this was kinda stupid...but that’s how it is. I’d take an AU58 over an MS60 any day.

Zed McJack, mikenoodle and JayF like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. JayF

JayF Active Member

Interesting, I never really got into grading because of what I thought was required for a coin to be graded high which is almost perfection and I know I'll never find one that will be worth grading. I don't have any coins at that level but quite happy with what I've kept. Thanks for the info, I'll look at images of an AU coin to learn more about the difference with MS.

4. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

Pop over to heritage and just look at photos. It’s a great reference.

An AU58 coin would likely grade in the MS65 range if not for a bit of wear. This is why I look for AU58 coins. You get the eye appeal of high grade MS but at a lower cost.

JayF likes this.
  5. JayF

JayF Active Member

I normally check on PCGS for the images but will look at the heritage site too. Thanks again!

6. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

The AU58-MS62 range is in major flux right now. It is changing literally as I type this. What was true even 3 or 4 years ago might not be true today. I'm speaking here of "market grading", the "technical grading" is what it is.

7. juris klavins

juris klavins Well-Known Member

Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
  8. PlanoSteve

PlanoSteve Well-Known Member

9. EatYourWheatPennies

EatYourWheatPennies Active Member

Is it worth getting professionally graded at some point?

10. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

I'd say probably not.

11. NLL

NLL Well-Known Member

No. Your coin is damaged and your not likely to get more than melt value for it.

Draft saved Draft deleted