What is your choice on how to buy Silver Eagles? Why?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by GUNNER63736, Dec 12, 2020.

1. GUNNER63736

GUNNER63736 Well-Known Member

Certified or Raw? Just trying to expand my knowledge a little. Heck, with my old brain, I may ask the same question next week. LOL

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

That's a bit open ended. If you are talking about regular silver eagles and not proof or special finish, etc., then I buy raw only because it is simply bullion to me. Not worth spending $30.00 to slab a common bullion coin. I rarely buy slabbed coins anyways but do have some special finds of my own slabbed for my personal pleasure.

4. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

I wouldn’t buy them, no matter raw or certified.

PS: ...not sure if this comment will make me more popular around here :)

Last edited: Dec 12, 2020
  5. Charles Ruge

Charles Ruge Supporter! Supporter

Definitely raw. I stopped buying them from the mint a long time ago as it was cheaper to buy them on the net.

Inspector43 likes this.
  6. YoloBagels

YoloBagels Well-Known Member

Raw unless you can find someone selling slabbed eagles for melt. Slabbed eagles are usually overpriced IMO, and many MS/PF70 examples usually aren't true 70s either.

Inspector43 likes this.
  7. mark943

mark943 Member

The only way I buy bullion eagles is in bulk. Monster boxes or rolls. I don't think (after having bought very many) that proof eagles are worth the extra money. You might make your money back if silver goes back to $50/oz or your grandchildren might make something off of them. Unless of course you just love them and want to build a collection. I am now of the opinion that moderns aren't worth buying except as a hedge against hyperinflation, so I'm a bit biased.

Garlicus likes this.
  8. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

No, but if you want a few SPECIAL ASE's then getting them certified and protected is the way to go.

But for someone looking to buy hundreds or thousands of them ? No, 95-98% of what you probably want is raw ASEs.

9. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Especailly now with the new increased prices the mint is charging. What are the proof ASE's now $83?

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted