What is your best or most valuable CRH find?

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by coloradobryan, Mar 30, 2015.

1. coloradobryan

coloradobryan Well-Known Member

My best find is a 1969-S Doubled Die, Graded XF-45 by ANACS. Found while searching 18 dollars of cents from a local bank. Other graded finds are a 1960 D/D SD over LD, and a 1998 and a 2000 wide AM. Ungraded finds: 1942 D/ hor. D nickel in XF-40, and a 1974-d Doubled Die half in AU-50, but that one is a dog with roller damage. There are other minor ones I've found such as cuds, etc.

What is your best so far?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. harris498

harris498 Accumulator

Lets see that 1969-S DD!

4. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

It'd be interesting for people to also post the approximate values of their finds.

My best has been a 1999 WAM, approximate grade AU. Value ~$100.

5. coloradobryan

The 1969-s Doubled die was sold at the Heritage Beverly hills auction in November, but you can look it up, lot #3600. When I found it, it was covered in crud, so be sure to check the cruddy coins before you throw them into the reject pile!

6. coloradobryan

I've been looking for the 1999 WAM, but no luck so far. Being this close to Denver, most of what I find is Denver coins, unless the box I get has coins sourced from the east coast.

7. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

My best find from CRH (and I'm assuming this also includes CBH - Coin Bag Hunting) was a men's 14k gold wedding band. Best coin I ever found CRH...I'm thinking maybe my 1977 D Kennedy Half DDO-001 NGC MS62?

8. coop

coop Senior Member

Years back after reading about the 2004 DDR's I started thinking: If this could happen that year, I'm checking other years for the same DDR on a different date. That led me to find this one:
    2002D-1dr-001 coppercoins #
    2002-D WDDR-002 Wexler #
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    http://www.coppercoins.com/lincoln/diestate.php?date=2002&die_id=2002d1dr001&die_state=mds

So I learned to keep your options open for years where there are no listing yet. You might be the first one to find something new.

stldanceartist likes this.
  9. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

1924 mercury dime.

10. bryantallard

bryantallard show me the money....so i can look through it

17 or 18 silver kennedy proofs with a bunch of clad proofs. clad and silver were consecutive years
    2 1883 no cents v nickels
    1982 Lincoln cud
    1971 Lincoln ddo
    and my best "coin" find in CWR
    was my 2004 iowa missing its obv clad layer
    these are my best 5
    numerous 72 ddo's a couple 002's are the best.
    2 95 ddo's (one a nice red)
    numerous cuds. (mostly state quarters because they are somewhat common.

Attached Files:

spirityoda likes this.
  11. 712

712 Constatutionalist, U.S.N. Viet Nam vet 66'

My greatest finds were while cherry picking on eBay, 3 raw 1861-O seated half dollars. I had them graded by PCGS. The first graded XF40 CSA Obverse FS-401 (FS-007) WB-102. The second was graded F15 CSA Obverse FS-401 (FS-007) WB-102. The third was graded F12 CSA Obverse FS-401 (FS-007) WB-102. A coin similar to the XF-40 sold by Heritage Auctions 8/2014 brought $4700.00, last Heritage Auction for an F-12 sold for $823.00. I have no info on the F-15 coin but PCGS population is 2. Population on the F-12 is 10 and on the XF-40 is 6. I've had a lot of fun with these coins.

12. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

My favorite has been my 1972 DDO #1 (my avatar). I'd love to see that 69S!

spirityoda likes this.
  13. 712

712 Constatutionalist, U.S.N. Viet Nam vet 66'

I would like to see that 69-S too, please post it

14. bryantallard

my 82 cud sold $42. silver proofs about $10 each. 71 ddo brown with slight wear $35. a dirty 95 ddo $25. the beautiful red 95 ddo BIN $50. the iowa missing obv layer $148.51

15. rockyyaknow

rockyyaknow Well-Known Member

1925 Canadian Nickel which is a key date for those unfamiliar with that series.

16. bryantallard

I save all my Canadian coins because I know nothing about them. is there a site that tells the key and semi key dates for different denominations? thanks

17. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

coinsandcanada.com

18. coloradobryan

I'll post a pic when I get home tonight of the 69-s ddo that I found. It was sold by heritage in November, lot 3600.

19. Derry

Derry Member

I found the 1995-D DDO FS-041 back in 1995 in change. At the time I happened to have a couple of boxes of bank rolled 1995-D pennies that I was going to return to the bank, since I thought they were circulated when I bought them for searching. So my wife and I went went through them and found 21 more examples. I sent one to J.T. Stanton and it made the Cherrypickers' Guide as FS-041 and giving me credit. I sent two to NGC that I thought would come back as a 64 or 65 and they both came back as 67's. Overgraded in my opinion. I sold one on teletrade for $800+ a few years ago. It's pretty much the 20th anniversary of my find so I thought I'd tell my story here. I'm looking to get provenance on the rest when I get them slabbed. I still have the discovery coin, but it has some minor hairlines.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
    furryfrog02 likes this.
  20. coloradobryan

Derry, I've been looking for the 1995-d DDO for some time now, and I don't feel it gets the credit it deserves. It's rare as hens teeth compared to the 1995 DDO! 69sddo.jpg
    Here is a pic of the 1969-s DDO that I found in May of last year. Sold it at Heritage auction in November.

21. enamel7

enamel7 Junior Member

1916D Mercury that graded G-4

Draft saved Draft deleted