What is was your luckiest coin find?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by satootoko, Dec 11, 2006.

1. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

Try the European forum section.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

What is special about this?

Ruben

4. Car10

Car10 Senior Member

My luckiest finds:
    a 1864 "L" IHC G-4
    a 1858 small letter FE cent EF-45
    and two 1999 wide am AU-55

5. Speedy

Speedy Researching Coins Supporter

THe clad layer is missing---

Speedy

6. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

Ah - I thought that was the Photo!

7. nickelman

nickelman Coin Hoarder

Hard to say. I've found so many varieties that are unlisted that I really couldn't say which might be my best find. Then there is the question of most personnal satisfying best or financially lucrative best?

8. Dabalzak

Dabalzak Senior Member

Eek. The day before yesterday I found my best find. I went into a bank that I had no account at to make a deposit for a friend and noticed they sold some proof coins and some commems and other .999% silver (i'll call them tokens for lack of a better term) ie.. Merry Christmas tokens, and tooth fairy tokens and stuff like that. On the bottom row were some military (I thought were coins) TOKENS. I had noticed somwhere in my reading that the US MARINE COIN had sold out real quick from the mint and that they were worth quite a bit more than they had originally sold for from the mint. I purchased it and they didn't have any more, but she said she could order some more at 30 dollars a piece. I ran and checked the internet and it said that they were worth well over 60 dollars a piece up to 900 bux if they would happen to grade pr70. I called her back and told her to order me 5 more and she did happily. I also asked her if she would be willing to order me a box of halves from the fed and she said sure.

Sidenote: after her saying sure. i went straight to my bank and asked them if they had decided whether or not they were going to order the halves for me yet and she said she was told no. they would not order half dollars. I said ok thanks and said I wish to close my savings account out and remove all but 10k from my checking account. I was halfway irritated and made her give me the savings account in cash. she said it was going to run her low and I said well atleast you have enough to do it.. thanks. and walked out of there with a smile.

I proceded to go to the other bank and open an account. I got to the parking lot and the mrs called and said our first boer goat nanny we got a few months ago just had a kid and for me to come straight home to see the cute lil bugger. Neither of us even knew she was pregnant, but its awful cute..

anyway. I didn't make the deposit yet, but I was on the computer checking out the coin a little better and realized I didn't have the coin I did and the lady at the bank said they have already shipped the coins. She didn't come out and tell me I still have to buy them, but I feel it would be best if I did because I did ask her to order them for me. Oh well. hopefully people on ebay will still like the coins/TOKENS.

This turned out to be my best find ever. That turned into my worst find/ learning experience indeed. :)

Tom

ps. is there a way to grade these token things?

thanks

9. venus

venus New Member

OK I will try the European forum, but I am not sure it is a European token or medallion or ........ I think the name of the bird was European Robin. There was a series of birds made by the same company. They may be called European Eagles or Hawks, at this time I don't know. Interesting finds some of you have made.

10. zaneman

zaneman Former Moderator

My luckiest find was that dang trunk full of 1964 peace dollars at the former mint directors garage sale. Pfff, obviously they didn't make any that year so I melted them ;) :D

Not sure what my best find is really though. I've had a few good ones. : )

11. Aidan Work

Aidan Work New Member

Medal-coins.

Tom,those pieces that are struck for sale to collectors at a premium above the face value are actually more commonly known as medal-coins.We had one guy from Canada who stopped posting because I annoyed him buy referring to the pieces in his collection as medal-coins.

Aidan.

12. dopeuser

dopeuser Senior Member

Actually the correct term according to Charlton Std Catalogue is NCLT (Non-circulating Legal Tender).
    Because they do have a face value on the coin, and are legal tender, just never intended to circulate.
    And I don't think you can go to any mint in the world and buy new product at face value,
    a bank yes, but not direct from the mint, there's always a mark-up over face value.

13. satootoko

satootoko Retired

Actually they are know as NCLT to 99.99974%+ of collectors and 100% of catalog publishers. They are known as medal-coins to Aidan. :D

14. Aidan Work

Aidan Work New Member

Jerome Remick & the use of the term 'medal-coin'.

Roy,it was actually the late Jerome Remick who first coined (a pun!) the term 'medal-coin'.It was used in his catalogue of British Commonwealth coins in around 1970.The next use I find for it is in the 1981 Krause catalogue.The term was used to describe what the 1969 & 1970 Pope of Rome Visit issues from Uganda as.

Aidan.

15. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

My luckiest find isn't all that spectacular, but I like it. When I was first starting to collect coins, back when I was 11 or 12, one of the first things I really liked were proof sets. So, the coin dealer I visted had a few cheaper ones in stock one day and I bought them, one was a 1985 (my birth year), a 1976 clad, and a 1979. I probably paid about $20 for all 3 total. Those were the first proof sets I had in my collection and I never thought much about them.

Several months ago, I began collecting once again after a couple years of not, and I went through my collection. I found my old proof sets (I have like a dozen or so now) and came across those old three. As a began to examine them, I checked the Anthony Dollar in the 1979 set for a clear S variety knowing the chances were slim...but I had never checked it before. Sure enough, it had a clear S.

16. bruce 1947

bruce 1947 Support Or Troops

My best find in the last year has been COINTALK, and the knowledge that everyone has been glad to share with me thanks to all of you. :hug:

Draft saved Draft deleted