what is up with my coin?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by ROADDEVIL1, May 27, 2020.

1. ROADDEVIL1

ROADDEVIL1 New Member

seems the copper is not the right size? DSCN2441.JPG DSCN2451.JPG DSCN2449 (2).JPG DSCN2441.JPG DSCN2451.JPG DSCN2449 (2).JPG DSCN2441.JPG DSCN2451.JPG DSCN2449 (2).JPG DSCN2441.JPG DSCN2451.JPG DSCN2449 (2).JPG DSCN2441.JPG DSCN2451.JPG DSCN2449 (2).JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

It has been eaten away by a mild acid, whether environmentally or intentionally.
    ~ Chris

Oldhoopster likes this.
  4. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Correct. A harsh chemical erroded the inner copper.

Not a Mint Error of any kind.

Oldhoopster likes this.
  5. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Afraid it's damaged as stated. Welcome to CT.

6. Lawtoad

Lawtoad Well-Known Member

I have heard these called swimming pool coins. I have a dime that has this same damage. Apparently the chlorine in the pool causes this kind of damage to coins.

Mountain Man likes this.
  7. cpm9ball

Do you think if someone called it a "junk coin" that they would be able to sell it on SleazeBay? ~ Chris

8. Lawtoad

Lawtoad Well-Known Member

One could sell anything on SleazeBay with a catchy name and a creative description.

9. cpm9ball

Zackly! ~ Chris

10. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

An extended soak in vinegar will do it. The acetic acid combines with the copper to form copper acetate which is water soluble and vinegar is 95% water so the copper core slowly gets eaten away. It can't attack the copper in the cladding layers as readily so the core core dissolves faster.

Lawtoad likes this.
  11. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Supporter! Supporter

Welcome to CT @ROADDEVIL1. As already stated, PMD, post mint damage. It was damaged after it left the mint, so no error, and it is a good example of what a mild acid, such as chlorine, as @Lawtoad mentioned, can do to a coin. I'd keep it as an example.

Draft saved Draft deleted