what is up with my coin?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by ROADDEVIL1, May 27, 2020.

  1. ROADDEVIL1

    ROADDEVIL1 New Member

    seems the copper is not the right size? DSCN2441.JPG DSCN2451.JPG DSCN2449 (2).JPG DSCN2441.JPG DSCN2451.JPG DSCN2449 (2).JPG DSCN2441.JPG DSCN2451.JPG DSCN2449 (2).JPG DSCN2441.JPG DSCN2451.JPG DSCN2449 (2).JPG DSCN2441.JPG DSCN2451.JPG DSCN2449 (2).JPG
     
  2. Avatar

    Guest User Guest



    to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

    cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

    It has been eaten away by a mild acid, whether environmentally or intentionally.
    ~ Chris
     
    Oldhoopster likes this.
  4. paddyman98

    paddyman98 Let me burst your bubble! Supporter

    Correct. A harsh chemical erroded the inner copper.

    Not a Mint Error of any kind.
     
    Oldhoopster likes this.
  5. Collecting Nut

    Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

    Afraid it's damaged as stated. Welcome to CT.
     
  6. Lawtoad

    Lawtoad Well-Known Member

    I have heard these called swimming pool coins. I have a dime that has this same damage. Apparently the chlorine in the pool causes this kind of damage to coins.
     
    Mountain Man likes this.
  7. cpm9ball

    cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

    Do you think if someone called it a "junk coin" that they would be able to sell it on SleazeBay? ~ Chris
     
  8. Lawtoad

    Lawtoad Well-Known Member

    One could sell anything on SleazeBay with a catchy name and a creative description.
     
  9. cpm9ball

    cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

    Zackly! ~ Chris
     
  10. Conder101

    Conder101 Numismatist

    An extended soak in vinegar will do it. The acetic acid combines with the copper to form copper acetate which is water soluble and vinegar is 95% water so the copper core slowly gets eaten away. It can't attack the copper in the cladding layers as readily so the core core dissolves faster.
     
    Lawtoad likes this.
  11. Mountain Man

    Mountain Man Well-Known Member

    Welcome to CT @ROADDEVIL1. As already stated, PMD, post mint damage. It was damaged after it left the mint, so no error, and it is a good example of what a mild acid, such as chlorine, as @Lawtoad mentioned, can do to a coin. I'd keep it as an example.
     
Draft saved Draft deleted

Share This Page