What is this?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by eddiespin, Oct 19, 2023.

1. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

I picked up $2 in rolls at an out-of-town branch I cashed a check at I had just picked up. The feeling just came on me. I was dining out for lunch (in my car lol). Out of the 4 rolls look what I had found. Right place at the right time, you can’t ever beat that. But now I’m questioning whether it’s what I had at first thought, a lamination, look at that rim dent. So let’s have it, what are we geniuses calling it? Thanks. :)

63514C42-3BFA-4031-83F8-A52BA919DB5D.jpeg 463BEA13-35E0-4191-AC3E-A987141D882D.jpeg

ddddd, alurid, Collecting Nut and 2 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

I've read something as this right out of the horse's mouth somewhere...These laminations are so freaking weird. Even if it is a big one, please don’t take any offense, but I’m not impressed. Nothing personal, I just don’t like these things. I don’t mean don’t collect them, I do collect them, and you’ve all got my permission to collect them also.;)

eddiespin, dwhiz and Kentucky like this.
  4. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

OK wise guy. But the ears are freaking weird.

Insider and Kentucky like this.
  5. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Now what do you say, is this one too challenging for you? :)

6. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Careful, that's a sign of a sense of humor... :)

Tall Paul and eddiespin like this.
  7. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

So what does typically happen to a lamination (that reaches the rim) when it goes through the upsetting mill? I feel like I should know, but I find that I don't.

eddiespin likes this.
  8. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Planchet issue. Delamination Error.

Kasia and eddiespin like this.
  9. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I’d call it a delamination error. It may have been on the planchet before it had a rim. If you look under Lincoln’s chin, that’s where it broke off. I can see from that area to 3 o’clock what appears to be a lamination that’s attached but also goes through the rim.
    Nice find.

eddiespin likes this.
  10. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Actually Mr. Ed found a very interesting coin. My guess is that the planchet was defective before the coin was struck. Then the left and right side (look at rim) of the peeling surface became detached. This left the middle of the defect to remain attached. Follow the defect across the coin and you can see the lines of the tear on both sides of the part that did not come off.

Kasia, -jeffB and eddiespin like this.
  11. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

So that's the remaining part of it to the right that held on. Yes, I can see it in the somewhat faint outline, leading through to the rim involvement.

12. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

My Lamination Planchet
    1960DLam.jpg

13. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Yeah, mine lifted off, I get it. But just that left side. It must be in a cash register someplace.

Insider, Tall Paul and SensibleSal66 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted