What Is This?

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by IanC, Oct 21, 2018.

1. IanC

IanC Numismatist

Hello!

I’m having troubles figuring out what this note is. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Looks like a German notgeld of some sort :)

Dean 295, IanC and alurid like this.
  4. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

Google Krummnussbuam.

IanC likes this.
  5. Milesofwho

Milesofwho Omnivorous collector

Apparently the top translates to “community voucher.” The town is Krummnussbiam, which is apparently a town in Austria. It’s 20 Heller, and dated 1920. I have some other Austrian notgeld notes.

NOS and IanC like this.
  6. IanC

IanC Numismatist

Thank you!

Milesofwho likes this.
  7. SorenCoins

SorenCoins Well-Known Member

I have a similar time-period and similar looking note that I think is from poland

8. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

Agree. Austrian Notgeld. Notgeld translates to emergency or necessity money. Many towns in Germany and Austria issued notgeld after WWI due to the hyperinflation. Most are common.

9. George McClellan

George McClellan Active Member

Small change and coins lose the value of their 'face' value and retain only their metallic/bullion/melt value in inflation.
    The need to make change remains during inflation, as well as the need for accountants and taxmen to account for the uttermost farthing.

Real money used to be hard money copper silver and gold. Coins get squirreled away. One does not spend pre-1964 USA dimes, quarters, and halves, and silver dollars today at face value.

SorenCoins likes this.
  10. Jochen1

Jochen1 Well-Known Member

Have found this thread today. I'm collector of German Notgeld too, because of the historical, cultural and political themes depicted on the notes. But you have to decide between
    (1) real Notgeld, printed because of lack of currency, and thus of interest for collectors of bank notes, and
    (2) so-called "Serienscheine", printed only for collectors.

Sadly all the nice and often beautiful series belong to catergory (2). Sometimes antisemitic too, but not often. This was a way for the issueing cities to get some money into their empty coffers. And it was a popular hobby in the Twenties.

Jochen

Bayern and George McClellan like this.
  11. George McClellan

George McClellan Active Member

Right you are, sir!
    I imagine a possibility some might have reprinted 1917-1918 dated Notgeld for collectors.:jawdrop:
    So... I focus on "rags" of those dates.:shame:

Ebay lists 1922-1923 "Notgeld" (of course):rolleyes:
    At some point thereupon multi-thousand/million Mark notes might have been deliberately printed for use as "small change".;)

Draft saved Draft deleted