What is this?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by NSP, Jul 7, 2015.

1. NSP

NSP Well-Known Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I sent the link to a friend of mine on the NGC forums. I'm waiting to see what he has to say.

Chris

4. rooman9

rooman9 Lovin Shiny Things

Now this is one I'm actually interested in. Not a lot of feedback, but all positive and all as a seller. Seems to have sold a lot of error type coins.

5. cpm9ball

I contacted a friend on the NGC forums, and he has his doubts about its authenticity but is not 100% sure. Besides the stars, shank and detail of the head, he also thought the lack of the two digits of the date was strange. He suggested that you might want to contact Fred Weinberg since he has apparently sold a lot of older dies.

Personally, the stars and the shank don't look right to me.

Chris

NSP likes this.
  6. derkerlegand

derkerlegand Well-Known Member

I don't know either, but for this to be a die, seems weak and worn detail in hair, etc.

7. miedbe7

miedbe7 Wayward Collector

Is that the proper cylindrical shape for dies of that era? When did they switch to steam presses? I think that cylinder looks too "machined". These are just gut reactions mind you. But I'm definitely interested nonetheless.

NSP likes this.
  8. cpm9ball

Those dies that I've seen have a shank larger in diameter than that part which has the die.

Chris

9. coinzip

coinzip Well-Known Member

It's a Counterfeit die, just my humble opinion.

10. rooman9

rooman9 Lovin Shiny Things

Hey that looks similar to the one I bought from China to make my own counterf..... COUGHCOUGHCOUGHSPLUTTERCOUGH. Sorry had something in my throat. But it all seriousness I have no idea if it's authentic or not.

NSP likes this.
  11. NSP

NSP Well-Known Member

I'm going to take a guess that if it was a legitimate die that it wouldn't be for sale on ebay. Plus the stars look too blobby and not sharp.

12. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

My gut feeling as well. It appears to be a modern steel cylinder, which does not show even close to the amount of oxidation you would expect after nearly 200 years.

13. NSP

NSP Well-Known Member

I'm surprised they didn't go for the "first year of issue" angle and make it 1815, overlooking the fact that the only 1815 die got overdated into the 1818/5 die. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted