What is this type of error called?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Myka Gilliam, Dec 3, 2023.

1. Myka Gilliam

Myka Gilliam Newbie hobbyist, just trying to gain knowledge

I can see the numbers at certain angles but it's completely flat if I feel the surface. And it doesn't seem to be scratched or show any wear on the rest so I'm assuming it's an error and not caused by pmd. Is there a market for coins like this? Would it be worth getting it graded? 20231201_100817.jpg 20231201_100745.jpg 20231201_100817.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

46 is known for having a weak date. They are either grease/debri filled or the result of an extreme die polishing.

Myka Gilliam likes this.
  4. Myka Gilliam

Interesting! Ty!

5. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

6. 3BStuff

3BStuff Cogitare Et Prolatantem

nice condition for a wheat penny

Myka Gilliam likes this.
  7. 1stSgt22

1stSgt22 I'm just me!

I agree with grease filled die idea. IMO it’s not worth grading. Not cost effective. Nice coin worth keeping!!!

Myka Gilliam likes this.
  8. Myka Gilliam

I have a whole roll of uncirculated ones. My mom found a roll when going thru her mom's things. I opened it and they're all beautiful wheat pennies plus a few Indian head cents. Heres a few of the coins from the roll [/ATTACH] BackgroundEraser_20230913_194944325.jpg 20230913_145816.jpg

9. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

The 1946 is probably from a grease filled die but this year has a number of weak strikes. It’s a very common date so not worth much despite the nice condition.

Inspector43 and Myka Gilliam like this.
  10. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

I like the ghost as pointed out by @alurid above. Nice batch of coins you have there.

Myka Gilliam likes this.
  11. Myka Gilliam

All of them are like that on the reverse side. Do you know what causes it? 20230913_150016.jpg

Attached Files:

masterswimmer likes this.
  12. Inspector43

Myka Gilliam likes this.
  13. Inspector43

Myka Gilliam likes this.
  14. Myka Gilliam

Woah. That seems like a lot. That's a lot, right? Lol

Inspector43 likes this.
  15. Myka Gilliam

Here's a closer pic. Sorry about the quality. And then the reverse, is that normal how the top of the c looks like it was repunched?

20231008_210142.jpg 20231008_210111.jpg

16. Inspector43

This is a great chance for you to learn about Wheat Cents and their varieties. Handle them with care and learn the way around the wheat cent.

Myka Gilliam likes this.
  17. Myka Gilliam

Thank you! Im going to go learn about the different varieties now. And I really like this one. That 4 is basically gone

Attached Files:

18. 1stSgt22

1stSgt22 I'm just me!

The only thing repunched on these coins is the mint mark. The “c” is MD IMO. No added value.

Inspector43 and Myka Gilliam like this.
  19. Myka Gilliam

Yea, I was expecting that answer. I think I may be able to understand numismatics a lot better if I could watch a video that shows the entire process and explains what each step is. Are there any videos like that, that you would recommend?

Dan Galbato and Inspector43 like this.
  20. Spark1951

Spark1951 Accomplishment, not Activity

Myka, Regarding the uncirculated red cents from the roll…

All of them need to be in a 2x2 flip as a minimum protection. You may want to go encapsulation ( not slabbed ) later as you find out their grades.

Let us say the 1948 (P) is assigned a grade of MS60RD, for example purposes. From NumisMedia/FMV, this grade is valued $2.68. I set up a proportion using known data and extrapolated the value. You are forced to do it this way because NumisMedia does not populate all the rows with data.

So for MS60BN, they list $1.04. They don’t list the value for a red.

Known values for MS63BN/$2.01 and MS63RD/$5.18 can be used to find the value of the MS60RD…and that equates to $2.68.

1.04. =. 2.01
    x. 5.18. Cross-multiply both sides and divide by 2.01 to find x.

From NGC, all MS60RD listings for 1948-1958 wheat cents show $2.50 as value.
    Remember these are for certified, slabbed coins in their populations.

Between the two sources you get a durn good idea where the value of those coins are. Most of them appear to be better than MS60RD, but even at MS63RD and values of $5-7.00 they are not worth sending in for grading.

The general rule for sending to a Third party grader like ANACS, NGC or PCGS is for the individual coin to be worth at least $150 to $200 to make grading fees cost-effective. You can slab anything you want for many reasons, such as an emotional reason (a coin belonged to my Mom or Grandmom). Or you just want to pay extra for protection/security.

I hope this has helped you and others. Good luck going forward with these beautiful wheats (I saw a ‘60 Memorial in there so check it carefully too).
    …imo…Spark

Last edited: Dec 3, 2023
    Myka Gilliam likes this.
  21. Spark1951

Spark1951 Accomplishment, not Activity

Clarification: Auto correct will not save. Assigned = MS61RD. and it screwed up the proportion… it should read 1.04 divided by x. = 2.01 divided by 5.18. To find the value of MS61RD.

I blame NumisMedia for not including proper data.
    …Spark

Myka Gilliam and Inspector43 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted