What is this token?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by coin_nut, Sep 1, 2017.

1. coin_nut

coin_nut Well-Known Member

I found this odd coin or token while doing some inventory and photo work on my collection and I have very little idea of what it is. Does anyone know about this one? 1831 GB token obv.JPG 1831 GB token rev.JPG

Johndoe2000$ and Jasanche like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Never seen this before but I'd guess a medal used to make a political statement?

4. Chewmassa

Chewmassa Now where could my pipe be?

5. coin_nut

Looks like you nailed it, thanks! That description matches, including the diagonal reeding on the edge. I see that I got this one very cheaply and it is in about VF30 condition or better, I bet it is slightly valuable. Then again, I realize full well that "a thing is worth what you can get for it".

6. Chewmassa

It's definitely cool. I especially like the quote on the reverse.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
  7. Chewmassa

Numista Rarity index: 92
    That's probably a good sign, right?
    Asuming theres a demand for this niche.
    Definitely like the medal. Glad you shared it.

8. Jasanche

Jasanche Member

The rarity index is supposed to represent how many of the numista members own the coin/token.
    So (if i remember correctly), if the coin is entered into the database, but no one claims to own one, the rarity index is 100.
    97 if one member owns one, and so on...

9. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

10. Chewmassa

Its basically your skill at effectively using google to find information.

11. coin_nut

I get it now, a play on words. Like "gung-fu".

eddiespin likes this.
  12. PaddyB

PaddyB Eccentric enthusiast

I don't want to be a kill joy but these are pretty common here in the UK. I have had probably a dozen or more through my hands in the last few years and I have found few collectors for them. They usually sell for 50p or £1.

They come under the general heading of satirical tokens and were made for numerous political causes in the early 19th century. The most famous is the "Cumberland Jack", which focussed on the move of the Duke of Cumberland (a member of the Royal family) to become Elector of Hanover in Germany. This was unpopular in the UK. Another lampoons Robert Peel (Prime Minister) for his tax policies.

I think they are very interesting and would make a good-value collecting area as there are endless variations on each design. You can get them on Ebay - usually in bulk lots listed among Gaming tokens. This is one of the Peel tokens:
    Anti Peel.jpg

Ruslatin and paddyman98 like this.
  13. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Oh. Lol. I feel so stupid now... :D

14. kevin McGonigal

kevin McGonigal Well-Known Member

Now, if you had one for the coronation of George III circa 1760, that would be of considerable interest of an American collector.

Cheshire Cat likes this.
  15. johnyb

johnyb Member

and to Australian collectors seeing how when George 111 " lost" the United States in 1776 he then had to send all the bad boys and girls to Australia, starting with the first fleet landing on 26 Jan. 1788.

16. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

These Australians are a bunch of criminals. :)

johnyb likes this.
  17. coin_nut

Maybe that's why I like Aussies so much. They come from good rebel stock. 1912 AU 1 p obv.JPG 1912 AU 1 p rev.JPG

Stork likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted