What is this Silver Dollar Set and what is it worth?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Christian Gonzales, Jul 17, 2013.

1. Christian Gonzales

Christian Gonzales I am a 14 year old coin collector.

IMG_20130717_024853_917-1.jpg I have no idea what this Morgan Silver Dollar Set is and what it is worth, I bought it from someone who knows nothing about coins for $5. It is the First and last year of the Morgan Silver Dollar series 1978-S and 1921.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Prime Mover

Prime Mover Active Member

$5??? :eek: Man, why can't I ever find deals like that??!!?!

Even if these are horrible coins you've got over $40 worth there, each of them should sell at minimum for about $20-24 since they all seem to carry a hefty premium over melt. If they're in decent condition at all it is much more than that. I'm not a Morgan guy and that's a horrible picture so there's no way of giving an accurate ballpark grade by any of the experts on here.

BTW I find the "pot/kettle" situation funny, as you're saying the other party knows nothing about coins...

flathead62 likes this.
  4. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

It looks to be a self proclaimed set by an aftermarket promoter. That would put the packaging and presentation at no value to a serious collector. The coins themelves have intrinsic value by the silver alone, and additional collector value based on condition. You would need to post both sides of both dates to get the best idea there. A middle of the road grade (XF) would put them in a range of $30 to $40 each.

5. c10ck3r

c10ck3r Member

You got scammed! There is no such thing as a 1978-S Morgan Dollar! Take it back and demand a refund!

Warning: Extreme sarcasm above, possibly dangerous to your health. Actual value of coins may range from $40-$500. (Range established based on values in junk and MS-65, full retail.

6. Christian Gonzales

7. Christian Gonzales

Haha I believe these coins are MS, but I will post a picture and see what I get. I got 15 oz. of silver and two of these sets for $100! Also at school I got 13 Peace and 2 Morgans for $60! He charged me 2-5$ each!

CoinMike747 likes this.
  8. Christian Gonzales

I was worried that would be the case. I will upload some pictures of the coins as soon as I get a chance.

9. digibyte

digibyte Member

I agree that it looks like a set. I checked a few of the most popular aftermarket companies and couldn't find this particular exact set, but I did find a few different ones with the same or similar coins selling for over 200. It all comes down to the coins and being in this set gives it no extra value in my opinion. That being said I would have no problem buying these from you at double what you paid for them. :rolleyes:

PS ... Can you message me the info where you bought this. She may have more and better stuff she'll sell for $5. :)

10. vlaha

vlaha Respect. The. Hat.

Maybe it's just polishing, but they almost look proof-like.

11. Christian Gonzales

I sold the other one that I had on YouTube for $120.

12. vlaha

vlaha Respect. The. Hat.

@:eek:

13. Christian Gonzales

lol is that good or bad? o_O

14. vlaha

vlaha Respect. The. Hat.

It's amazing;).

15. Christian Gonzales

Ha okay good :D

16. digibyte

digibyte Member

The melt value alone is well worth a lot more than what you paid. If they haven't been cleaned and polished you should do really well with these. If I am right they are probably proof or unc coins in the set and they sold for $299 or something like that by one of these companies. That was a killer find and you really should go back to that place and see if she has more stuff she'd like to sell.

17. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Selling stuff on YouTube now?

They don't look like proofs to me but polished or cleaned and it's mpossible to see anything on the second coin. There are companies that put lower end coins in these nice boxes and sell them for a premium.

Time for me to get on my soap box:
    I think it's wrong to buy a coin from someone for a signifigantly lower price then the coin is worth because the seller doesn't know any better. So if you knew these Morgans were worth more than $5 you took advantage of someone. Also I'm not going to argue about this, like "they should have known better" or "that's not my job" etc. It's just wrong to do that to people.
    Ok, off my soap box.
    :cool:

18. digibyte

digibyte Member

I agree to some extent. However, the OP didn't know the value of these and came here to ask if anyone knew what he found. I was tongue in cheek about going over to see what else she had for sale. If someone is selling something at way too low a price you can buy it and sell it and then return and give them a share of the profits. That would be the right thing to do, but that would be something that doesn't happen too often.

19. Christian Gonzales

20. Christian Gonzales

Not the best pictures, but it will work. What grade do you think they are from what you see?

Attached Files:

21. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

So you're excited to have essentially burned these people? Priceless.

Since you've already sold on youtube, how about taking some of that money and throwing these guys a bone.

I highly doubt that he bought on the blind and didn't bother to at least google beforehand. He claims to have sold another set on youtube, and was able to find and post on a coin forum, so do you really think that he had "no idea" what they are minimally worth?

This is another one of those threads where if things were reversed and the person who sold was here complaining; everyone would be jumping on board and calling the buyer a scumbag. What is good for one is surely good for the other.

Do keep in mind something the OP admitted in his first post...

furham likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted