What is this? ("S" depression on Obv/Rev of quarter)

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Howard Black, May 25, 2019.

1. Howard Black

Howard Black Active Member

These photos are the best that I am currently able to produce. They do NOT show the depression as it appears to the naked eye (via loupe). I have marked of the approximate location on both sides.

There are no visual cues to suggest that this was squeezed post-strike; I believe it was present in the planchet before the coin was minted, but, I am open to suggestion. Please spare me any ex-cathedra declarations based on images that do not accurately display the artifact. TIA.

1989-D Obv.JPG

1989-D Obv [hilite].jpg

1989-D Rev.JPG

1989-D Rev [hilite].jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Based on those photos, I really don't see anything that wouldn't require anything more than a wild guess and no basis in fact.

Chris

4. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

die deterioration...

5. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

6. Howard Black

Howard Black Active Member

Why would a worn die press the metal on the planchet in deeper? Wouldn't die wear result in the struck areas being higher? (Worn dies typically produce sometimes garishly expanded lettering around the edge of a coin. The more it wears, the larger the effect.)

Less metal on the die means higher areas on the coin, right? This is the opposite. It's an "S"-shaped indentation, i.e., there was "more die" in that area, a condition that does not seem possible to be a result of die wear. I would think that if it were caused by an elderly die, it would be an "S"-shaped protrusion. N'est-ce pas?

Draft saved Draft deleted