What is this old foreign silver coin and whats its value?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Lonestar, Aug 31, 2011.

1. Lonestar

Lonestar New Member

I bought this silver coin from a friend, who sold me his collection of junk silver dimes and quarters. He had this and didn't know what it was as it was given to him. I haven't a clue as to what it is. As far as I can guess it may be Russian, I'm not sure, but it's definately silver. Its about the size of a dime. I'm guessing the side with the eagle is the obverse and it appears to have a crown and banner above its head and shield on its chest. The reverse is pretty much completely worn down, but a "5" is barely noticable directly in the center. So if anyone can tell me what it is and what its value may be, it would be appreciated.:hail:

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. colligoergosum

colligoergosum I collect, therefore I am

It looks like a coin I have, mine is a 1914 One Mark piece from the German Empire. They were minted until 1918 I believe. It has a similar silver content to that of a silver quarter.

4. phatdaddy

phatdaddy New Member

it is deutsches reich 5 pfennig
    i have one from 1905

also 1876 10 pfennig

5. phatdaddy

phatdaddy New Member

their is no way to tell the date bc it would be on the on the right on the "5" and on your coin it is very worn

6. swhuck

swhuck Junior Member

Certainly German, appears to be struck in Berlin (mintmark A). Although the side with the denomination is either worn off or removed, I agree that it's probably a 5 pfennig piece. However, this is a copper-nickel coin, not a silver one (the color on the coin in the photo is pretty much identical with what these look like after they've been in circulation for a while.)

7. kaosleeroy108

kaosleeroy108 The Mahayana Tea Shop & hobby center

best as a jewelry piece either than that scrap..

8. GeorgeM

GeorgeM Well-Known Member

It might have been prepared for use as a love token (that was common from the 1850's until the 1910's). I agree that it's German and looks like a 5 pfennig.

9. Lonestar

Lonestar New Member

Thanks fellas. I couldnt tell what it was and I didnt even know what a love token was until y'all said that. I looked 'em up and yeah it may have been the start of one. Thanks again.:thumb:

Draft saved Draft deleted