What is This MS64-RB 1909-S Penny Worth ???

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Doug1974, Feb 22, 2015.

1. Doug1974

Doug1974 Active Member

I am in need of your advise Cointalk again ! I have the opportunity to buy this for $475 MS64-RD 1909 -S (NGC graded ) Penny is this a good deal OR not ???

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 22, 2015
    swamp yankee likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jallengomez

jallengomez Cessna 152 Jockey

I don't know what the asking price is, so I can't say if it's a good deal or not. However, it's a good looking coin. I like it.

4. Doug1974

Doug1974 Active Member

$475

jallengomez likes this.
  5. jallengomez

Unless you just really like the look, or if you think that in hand you can get a higher grade out of it, I'd pass. You should be able to easily pick up an NGC 64RB for under $400.

Doug1974 likes this.
  6. kaosleeroy108

kaosleeroy108 The Mahayana Tea Shop & hobby center

to expensive offfer 425

7. Doug1974

Doug1974 Active Member

Okay & thank you !!!

8. Agilmore01

Agilmore01 Well-Known Member

I just bought two like this, but mine were graded straight Red. One I paid $446 and the other was $465. Since yours is Red and Brown, and not very eye appealing, you should get it for under $400, or there are many others out there with the same grade for cheaper.

9. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

I am not sure about under $400, but certainly not much more than that.

10. Agilmore01

Ebay sold history has 4-5 that sold for under $400. You have to be patient to find these prices, but they are out there.

11. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

In RB they have 2 presently listed. And that is eBay. I doubt a dealer would go that low.

12. Agilmore01

Yeah, you won't find one for $400 or under in a local coin shop.

13. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

Well that is where he is shopping.

14. jallengomez

The past several auctions of 64RB on Great Collections and Heritage Auctions have sold in the $350-$380 range. That includes PCGS.

15. Doug1974

Doug1974 Active Member

Thank you all I will not buy it !!

16. PCGS price list shows $475 for an ms64RB--but I would think you could cherry pick to find a better one at that price--FWIW

17. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

Was that with the 17% Buyers fee? Then there is their shipping charges. When I buy from Heritage, these extras should be a consideration as well. Then compare it to a B&M dealer. You may have already, but the post didn't clarify that.

18. Agilmore01

When Heritage lists sold prices, it always includes the buyers fee. Of course shipping is not included, so add about $9-$10 for that.

jallengomez likes this.
  19. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

When you do a look up in the archives, it shows it both ways, with and without the buyers fee. The top price is without, the bracketed price is with. He didn't say which price he used for his statement. I have seen cases where collectors use the coin price only for comparisons.

20. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

I am not sure how you are getting both prices. When I look at their archives, it only lists the price including BP and it says so.

Agilmore01 likes this.
  21. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

My apologies. I stand corrected. I was looking at my own personal archives of items won. It is listed both ways there.

Draft saved Draft deleted