What is this mint error called?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Insider, Aug 22, 2016.

1. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

The reverse of this 1987-D is normal. The right side of the obverse is normal. No pictures of the entire coin. :sorry:

The left side has a slightly raised mound that is not associated with any die breaks so not a cud. Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Markus1959

Markus1959 Well-Known Member

I've seen that before - associated with a worn die.

4. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

Looks to me like the very rare and very dangerous "chewed cud", often only seen in bovine circles. :smug::smuggrin::D

jester3681 and Kentucky like this.
  5. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Don't you mean bovine semicircles?

Chris

6. cpm9ball

Normal? No pictures? Why should we take your word for it?

Chris:woot::woot::woot::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

paddyman98 likes this.
  7. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

They have a name for it but I can't recall that name right off the top of my head. But if I remember correctly it is caused by the die breaking and part of it sinking lower than the rest of the die.

Insider likes this.
  8. Insider

The fact that both sides are entirely normal and show no signs of die wear plus the fact that the "error" is a slightly raised localized area leads me to believe it should not be called a worn die.

9. Insider

Thanks @GDJMSP That's the confirmation I was hoping for. I also think this is a sinking or collapsed die error but never saw one like this before. On this coin the die appears to have warped as there is no evidence of any breakage yet. Does that seem right?

BTW, care to tell us how old you are?

10. cpm9ball

That is an interesting thought.

Chris

11. cpm9ball

Click on his username.

Chris

12. GDJMSP

As I understand it you don't always see the break on the surface of the die because the break occurs internally initially. Only later does the break become visible on the surface of the die and thus coins struck by that die. But when it first happens they look just like this coin.

Let's put it this way, when the Big Guy said - Let there be light ! - I threw the switch :D

paddyman98 likes this.
  13. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

14. Insider

15. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

If he told you, he'd have to kill you!

Ericred likes this.
  16. GDJMSP

You can't put an end to it, it's their chance to pick on me, gimme a hard time, and have a little fun while doing so. Besides, as long as they're givin me a hard time - that means they're leaving somebody else alone. And THAT helps keep the neighborhood friendly - instead of a war zone ;)

Kentucky, Insider and rickmp like this.
  17. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

I've heard it called a "buckled die" before, but I can't remember where I saw it. The die is failing internally, just as you mention, without showing an actual crack on the face.

18. GDJMSP

Probably 10 minutes after my initial post I remembered the name I've always heard is sunken die. But what you're saying explains it too. Probably one of those things that the name depends on who you ask.

19. Colonialjohn

Colonialjohn Active Member

http://www.error-ref.com/orange-peel-texture/

Its die deterioration with an orange peel effect. We also see flow lines formed within this orange peel area which is normally seen with this type of die deterioration.

John Lorenzo
    Numismatist
    United States

rockypa likes this.
  20. GDJMSP

I think you'll find that if you ask the man who has the coin in hand, the OP, there is a measurable difference in the height of the coins surface there in the fields. In other words there is an actual step in the fields - one side is higher than the other. And that's an entirely different thing than the orange peel effect.

21. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

To me, that's clear from the differential effect as one looks across the letters of the word "LIBERTY". The L is almost consumed by the breakage, or whatever you call it, while the TY is unaffected. The E is at the San Andreas Fault. Presumably, the die has begun to crumble away to the approximate distance of the normal height of the letters. I'll bet after one or two more strikes, it was completely toast. This is like a stop motion frame of a movie of a die collapse at the critical instant. If it were incuse, I'd call it a foreign object crud on the die. This is the coinage equivalent of a glacier, the die, calving off an iceberg and this is the very beginning of that process. I'll bet the next few strikes would have made a nice movie segment.

Besides, it was 1987. Have you looked at a BU roll of 1987 cents? Not our finest hour in terms of quality. Who knew a little zinc plated with copper would be so tough on die steel? We're not exactly talking about pure nickel here.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2016
Draft saved Draft deleted