What Is This "GEM PROOF" Grade Without A Number ?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by GoldFinger1969, Jul 27, 2020.

1. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

I've seen a few coins graded like this by PCGS (maybe NGC)....I just bought a coin graded GEM PROOF by PCGS, why would they not put a number on it ?

You have no idea if it's a 69 or 65, let alone a 70 or 65 (I take it the GEM qualifier means it isn't lower than 65).

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

4. serdogthehound

serdogthehound Well-Known Member

My understanding is something done for big bulk submission the cost is kept down by not requesting a specific grade . Other might say “holder them all but it Gem proof or BU unless 67 or better”

NSP, capthank, GoldFinger1969 and 2 others like this.
  5. Robert Ransom

Robert Ransom Well-Known Member

Photos please when you get coin.

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  6. Long Beard

Long Beard Well-Known Member

A question I've pondered myself putting together a PCGS MS/PF 70 set of Australian Wedge-tailed Silver Eagles. Countless "Gem BU" graded available.

Cheech9712 and GoldFinger1969 like this.
  7. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

I wouldn't buy it if I didn't understand the grade.

Cheech9712 and Stevearino like this.
  8. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

I agree. If you see a TPG slab without grade its a bulk submission where the consignor wanted to minimize his costs and peddle the coins to amateurs.

See it fairly often on TV coin shows and the like.

9. GoldFinger1969

These are modern coins, wouldn't you expect 99.9% of these to be 70, 69, or at worst 68 ?

If a bunch of them are grading 65 or 66 or even 67, I get saving a few $$$ using the GEM designation....but for whatever reason, 69's and 70's command so much of a premium once slabbed I don't know why anybody would go for GEM on the label instead of a number.

Modern striking is so good, you're not going to have many coins below 68, maybe even not 69.

Right ?

Last edited: Jul 27, 2020
  10. GoldFinger1969

Sure, I just bought this coin:

2018 NatPark S-G Reverse Proof.jpg 2018 NatPark S-G Reverse Proof reverse.jpg

NSP, capthank and Robert Ransom like this.
  11. Inspector43

MS means Mint State. That means that it came from the US Mint and met the design specified requirements and has not been in circulation. That should be MS-60. A person shouldn't expect more than that straight from the mint. If it is better we should say we were lucky and get a better grade.

12. Inspector43

13. ddddd

ddddd Member

Here is the answer from an NGC employee on their forum:

"Gem Proof is a term that is only used for certain bulk submissions if the submitter prefers that over a numeric grade. It means that the coins would be numerically graded PF 65 or higher."

https://www.ngccoin.com/boards/topic/330544-gem-proof/

NSP, Kentucky, capthank and 2 others like this.
  14. Robert Ransom

Robert Ransom Well-Known Member

15. ddddd

ddddd Member

While the official definition of these GEM Proofs is 65 or higher, my guess is that most are 68s (or even 69s). The dealers are mainly looking for 70s and everything else they want to pay as little as possible to get slabbed (even 69 grades for many moderns don't justify the full cost of grading fees).

Cheech9712 and GoldFinger1969 like this.
  16. GoldFinger1969

I think it's a commemorative, but it's not legal tender, no.

1 ounce of silver.

Inspector43 likes this.
  17. Inspector43

MS and PF are terms that are applied to coins from the US Mint. Coins that the hobby has standards to measure them against. Medals produced by an independent manufacturer have no standard to follow other than the manufacturers. Therefore, only they can compare it and designate its condition.

GoldFinger1969 and Mountain Man like this.
  18. GoldFinger1969

Other coins of this exact type have numerical grades, as do other variants from earlier years, both gold and silver.

Beefer518 and Inspector43 like this.
  19. GoldFinger1969

I wonder what the distribution of grades is for government-struck AGE's or ASE's, like say a batch of 1000 or so......:cool:

20. Inspector43

I'm sure they do. However, how can we apply these grades, that were developed in regard to known design parameters, to the manufacture of metals from an independent manufacturer? Only they know what the final product should look like. The TPG's can only guess based upon their past experience. Another TPG or collector may think different. And, since there is no standard, they too would be guessing.

21. GoldFinger1969

Well, you look for blemishes or other typical defects on newly-minted coins, I guess.

Inspector43 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted