What is this early steam engine gadget? (engraved on pre-Civil War Seated half)

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by lordmarcovan, Oct 13, 2017.

1. trussell

trussell Active Member

The "Twirley-doohickey" is a governor to control the speed of the engine. I think its a salesman's calling "card".

lordmarcovan and serafino like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Circus nailed it, there is no "gadget" that IS a steam engine. Cylinder, piston rod, flywheel, valve rod, and governor. All mounted on a platform. Looks rather similar to the one used in the second US mint designed by Franklin Peale, including the detailed platform.

4. CircCam

CircCam Victory

5. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

An interesting piece for cousin Bruce to check out........:)

@BRandM

6. Sundance79

Sundance79 Active Member

I think what the coin is depicting is the just a steam engine. By itself it did nothing but turn a large wheel. The wheel would be linked to some sort of device that would actually do the work. Like a paddle wheel, cotton gin, saw, whatever.

abuckmaster147 likes this.
  7. Circus

Circus Tokens Only !! TEC#4981

This is correct. The large wheel is a flywheel that is part of the engine to smooth out the motion change from the reciprocating to rotary

There would be a pulley either for flat belt or other type that would drive the machinery or a direct connect. never was it connected to the flywheel

8. CircCam

CircCam Victory

Such a cool piece, Rob. Being such a revolutionary piece of equipment at the time, it isn't suprising that someone would engrave it on a coin.

Very nice snapshot of American history!

9. coin_nut

coin_nut Well-Known Member

Circus is right. I would call it a double acting steam engine, the D slide valve admits steam first to one end of the cylinder, then when it slides, to the other end. I also have a license, 1st A/E, steam or motor vessels, any horsepower. That type of flyball governor is a dandy little device and easily identifiable.

10. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

$56.49 after shipping. The seller had $11.00 Priority shipping as the default, but gave me a rebate when I opted for First Class.

Theodosius and CircCam like this.
  11. BRandM

BRandM Counterstamp Collector

That's a nice engraved coin lord m.

Barnes may have been the inventor, or manufacturer of the steam engine. As to dating the piece. Although the coin is pre-1861, the engraving could have been done later. The hole of course suggests it was worn on a chain or attached to something as I.D. The hole looks to be undamaged, so it didn't likely see much use, whatever its purpose was.

I did a quick internet search, but no one in particular jumped out at me.

Bruce

lordmarcovan likes this.
  12. David Setree Rare Coins

David Setree Rare Coins Well-Known Member

I think that's one of my favorite coins I have seen on Cointalk yet.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  13. Beefer518

Beefer518 Well-Known Member

It's the power source for an early laptop?

14. serafino

serafino Well-Known Member

The coin might have been used as a pocket watch fob

15. dadams

dadams Well-Known Member

Steam Engine for a Printing Press:

There was an A. F. Barnes out of PA that owned part interest in a newspaper which had installed a steam powered press in about 1874 - See Wellsboro Agitator

What makes this more interesting is his brother John W. Barnes who was "engaged in steamboating".

What do you think? Could this be the Barnes/Steam link you've been looking for?

-d

edited to add: AUGUSTUS F. BARNES

Last edited: Oct 15, 2017
    C-B-D and lordmarcovan like this.
  16. David Setree Rare Coins

David Setree Rare Coins Well-Known Member

We have a small engine museum a few miles from me in Coolspring PA.

They could tell you anything you'd ever want to know about working steam engines.

17. lordmarcovan

While certainly not conclusive, that's more plausible than anything else I've come up with so far.

dadams likes this.
  18. lordmarcovan

That much is highly probable.

19. Galen59

Galen59 Gott helfe mir

I've seen two Corliss steam at the museum of science and industry in Chicago, they looked very much like your coin, one for the mass production of rifle stocks, the other for the manufacture of rifle barrels 1860's, civil war

lordmarcovan likes this.
  20. lordmarcovan

When I went to the Wikipedia page on stationary steam engines, it was the Corliss that looked the most similar to me, but I discounted that since I knew (know) so little on the topic.

Boy, these love tokens can be fun, though. I know that much.

I have been on a mini-spree over the last two weeks, too. A lot of nice pictorials were listed on eBay recently. Won some, lost some. I'll share some of the wins before too long.

I've decided to repopulate my once famous "Holey Coin Hat" of avatar fame. It has been forlorn in the closet for over five years, since I sold all the holey gold coins off of it. This time it will be the repository of these love tokens.

dadams and Galen59 like this.
  21. Circus

Circus Tokens Only !! TEC#4981

The Corliss has a much different valve set up and the head end is much larger to accommodated them. There are 4 rotary valves Two intake two exhaust valves, Having to set them properly they are a PIA to get them correct with the dash pots and all the moving scrap iron has a clear animation of them.
    Here is a simplified D slide valve animation

Draft saved Draft deleted