What is this early steam engine gadget? (engraved on pre-Civil War Seated half)

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by lordmarcovan, Oct 13, 2017.

1. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

It was so intriguing and unusual, I scooped it up. The host coin is a No Motto Seated Liberty half dollar from the New Orleans mint, so pre-1861. The engraving was done on the obverse of the host coin. The name is "A. F. Barnes".

Mystery Steam Engine.png

@dwhiz- nice companion piece to the "Ghost Train", wouldn't you say?

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Could be some type of large woodshop machine. The upper top left are weights that spun around to stabilize the interior part of a working saw or planer. The middle part that is divided in 3 sections is where the wood would enter from the right and exit on the left in order to be cut or smoothed. This is just my guess :bucktooth:

serafino, Alegandron and lordmarcovan like this.
  4. MontCollector

MontCollector Well-Known Member

lordmarcovan likes this.
  5. lordmarcovan

Could be, but I very much doubt it. One, he was born and died in England. Two, he was a quite bit younger than one would expect our A.F. Barnes to be, if one assumes the engraving on this piece to have been done in the mid-19th century. Your British composer by that name was born in 1878. So while it's possible, it's doubtful.

@paddyman98- so some kind of sawmill equipment, you think, maybe? I'll follow that track and see what I come up with. Thanks.

paddyman98 likes this.
  6. lordmarcovan

Well, here's an animated GIF from Wikipedia that looks markedly similar - note that it has that little twirley-doohickey* with the balls on the end of it - though I can't say it's identical...

Found on the Stationary Steam Engine page.

[​IMG]
    * "Twirley-doohickey". It's a very scientific, technical term. ;)

Theodosius, ddddd, old49er and 5 others like this.
  7. Youngcoin

Youngcoin Everything Collector

Haha that is cool I don't know the machine but it is pretty.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  8. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

2 Thumbs up on this score!

lordmarcovan likes this.
  9. paddyman98

Cool.. So some kind of pump then. See where the water enters down with gravity then pumped upwards

Edit* I think I'm wrong. I think steam enters through one pipe then exits upwards in the other pipe to power the piston section.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
    lordmarcovan likes this.
  10. lordmarcovan

Given the period, and the New Orleans mintmark on the (pre-1861) host coin, I'm thinking Southern ... which makes me think cotton mill ...

Theodosius likes this.
  11. Youngcoin

Youngcoin Everything Collector

Slave transportation along with cotton product?

12. lordmarcovan

No, this is not likely transportation-related. It's a stationary engine that would have been used in a mill of some kind, to run machinery. Like maybe a cotton gin.

Paddy54 likes this.
  13. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

This sort of engine runs a system of belts mostly leather that turn a series of shafts .
    The engine could of been used for several applications, from a saw mill to any machine that had a revolution main shafts.
    So it could of been a cotton gin .

14. paddyman98

@lordmarcovan
    Here is something you might like. It's located in the basement of the building I work at. Hasn't been in use in decades. It was a water pump installed in the early 1900's that at the moment is connected to nothing.
    20171013_065350.jpg 20171013_065408.jpg 20171013_065501.jpg

Theodosius, Paddy54 and lordmarcovan like this.
  15. lordmarcovan

Looks like it could still rip a finger off! I'll bet it's been sitting down there all this time ... hungry ... waiting ...

Alegandron and paddyman98 like this.
  16. Gilbert

Gilbert Part time collector Supporter

Looks like a typical steam engine that is not connected to anything. The original owner probably was an engineer.

harrync likes this.
  17. Gilbert

Gilbert Part time collector Supporter

paddyman98 likes this.
  18. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

I believe that is a steam engine that drove the paddle(s) of a steamboat.
    IMG_9022.JPG
    IMG_9023.JPG

19. abuckmaster147

abuckmaster147 Well-Known Member

I am gonna say its a stationary small steam engine that was for show. Could have been converted to run things but was made on the platform to transport to steam shows.
    I also stayed at the Holiday inn last night. But I am a farmer and went to a lot of these shows when I was a child.

20. David Setree Rare Coins

David Setree Rare Coins Well-Known Member

That is a magnificent coin.

Do you mind telling us what it cost?

lordmarcovan likes this.
  21. Circus

Circus Tokens Only !! TEC#4981

It is a D slide valve horizontal steam engine, whether they are models or full size they all look the same. The thingy is a flyball governor that is used to control the speed Just slight variations in design.
    I held an unlimited stationary engineers license, City of Detroit and State of Michigan registration for unlimited horsepower for boilers,turbines and Steam engines operation and maintenance for 35 years or issues. Had a vertical one of 25 horsepower in a building and it ran daily for close to 75years

Draft saved Draft deleted