What is this denarius?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Revi, Feb 14, 2013.

1. Revi

Revi Mildly numismatic

I got a denarius and have no idea exactly what it is. Here are a couple of pics of front and back:
    Denarius 001.jpg Denarius 002.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Revi

Revi Mildly numismatic

It's a little bigger than a US dime and weighs a bit more. I think it's silver. That's all I know. There are lots of ancient coin people on here.
    Can anyone help me identify, and what's the history behind it?

4. SKI

SKI Ooka Echizen Kawayama San

It's a coin of Severus Alexander.

5. Ripley

Ripley Senior Member

Yeah its a denarius of the Roman emperor Severus Alexander. Circa 230 AD. Nice coin.

6. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Obv: IMPCMAVRSEVALEXANDAVG - Laureate, draped bust right.
    Rev: VIRTVSAVG - Virtus standing right, holding spear and resting hand on shield.
    RIC 182c, S 7934, C 576

7. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

The obverse legend gives you the clue:

IMP C M AUR SEV ALEXAND AUG

8. Revi

Revi Mildly numismatic

Thanks so much for the info. I really had no idea where to start. I'm new to ancient coins. I tried putting some of the words on the obverse into the internet, but I had no idea where one word ended and the next began. Now I see what it says, but it was hard to understand before. I can find out what it is now with a little poking around on the internet. Thanks again!

9. Revi

Revi Mildly numismatic

I found a lot of info on the internet. Thanks again! Now I know a lot more about Severus Alexander, who loved the arts and his mother.

10. Drusus

Drusus Pecunia non olet

The fall of the princeps and the beginning of the crisis.

[​IMG]

11. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

[​IMG]
    O: IMP SEV ALE-XAND AVG, Laureate head right.
    R: VICTORIA AVGVSTI, Victory standing right, left foot on helmet, inscribing VOT X on shield.
    Rome
    2.2g
    18mm
    RIC 219, RSC 566a, BMC 638 (Scarce)

This type refers to the initial victories won against the Persians in 231 A.D.

[​IMG]
    O: IMP ALEXANDER PIVS AVG, Laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right.
    R: SPES PVBLICA, Spes advancing left, flower in right, with left raising skirt.
    Rome
    3.3g
    19mm
    RIC IV 254, RSC III 543

12. Ripley

Ripley Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Salus feeding a snake -
    [​IMG]

13. Revi

Revi Mildly numismatic

Was the crisis because he and his mother were killed?

14. Drusus

Drusus Pecunia non olet

He is commonly considered the last of the Princeps and was the last of the Severian Dynasty. His death and the acclamation by the troops of this man:

[​IMG]

Maximinus I (interesting character), a low born Thracian who was a career soldier, is seen as the beginning of the crisis of the third century when emperors were largely generals, most often acclaimed by the troops. Few in this time period would be like Severus Alexander here...a young prince, pampered and born to power and with little to no military experience. The soldier emperor was what was needed and what became the norm.

http://www.cachecoins.org/maximinusthrax.htm

15. Revi

Revi Mildly numismatic

Maximus is quite the warrior/ emperor. Very interesting bit of history, and his sculpture looks so lifelike, it seems like he's about to spring to life. Thanks! Poor Alexander was a mama's boy right to the end, but I don't think he deserved his fate.

Draft saved Draft deleted