What is this Coin?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Intrepid, Oct 30, 2020.

1. Intrepid

Intrepid Active Member

These photos were sent to me by a friend. He has asked for help identifying this coin, but I cannot help him because I know nothing about ancient coins. Would one of you be able to id it so I can tell him what it is?

Thank you for your help.

684A01F7-DE3E-4825-B055-5EB4C31E6DEA_1_201_a.jpeg 93BCDCD5-3FBE-4022-92E6-A856BD12E296_4_5005_c.jpeg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. shanxi

shanxi Well-Known Member

Andres2 and 7Calbrey like this.
  4. red_spork

red_spork Triumvir monetalis

Volodya, Andres2, 7Calbrey and 2 others like this.
  5. Intrepid

Intrepid Active Member

Of course he thinks it is real because it was his Great Grandfather's. He is going to take it to a jeweler and get it weighed, but probably not until next week. Once he gets it weighed, I will update this post.

I knew someone on here would find it.

Thanks for the quick response!

6. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Yep, looks like a cast fake, I'm afraid.

His great-grandfather owned it, huh? Well, it could be that it is just an old cast fake. They've been casting fakes to sell to tourists for a very long time.

The mushy details on this one do not bode well, I fear.

7. shanxi

shanxi Well-Known Member

ominus1 likes this.
  8. red_spork

red_spork Triumvir monetalis

The weight no longer matters. This coin is unquestionably a cast fake.

9. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

The very first fake I ever bought was exactly the weight to .01g of the British Museum specimen of its type. That was the day I learned that it is our job to try to keep up with people whose honesty is in question but their intelligence is not. If the jeweler says it is not a fake, offer to sell it to him and find somewhere else to buy your jewelry. BTW, if he offers to do a specific gravity test for an additional charge, keep in mind that these fakes were made of silver so should test as such unless what you have is a fake of a fake which would add absolutely nothing to the value of the piece.

Some will tell you that somewhere out there is the original host coin from which all the others were made so the fact is that Great Grandfather's coin might be the original even with the distinctive gash. If that is the case, Great Grandfather was a rather famous crook. Part of me would like to see a collection of fakes paired with the original coins from which the casts were made. That may be the stupid part of me.

10. Intrepid

Intrepid Active Member

You guys are awesome! I don't think he is too enthused with this news, but I agree after looking at the reports (especially the first one).

Thanks again for the help.

7Calbrey, ominus1 and Roman Collector like this.
  11. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

...the peeps are very good and helpful...for your friends sake, just tell him its probably a copy :)

7Calbrey likes this.
  12. Intrepid

Intrepid Active Member

To say that my friend is disappointed would be an understatement. He has accepted the evidence that was provided and agrees that it is a fake.

He also asked me thank the forum members who replied for their help.

Draft saved Draft deleted