What is this coin worth?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Profit man, Sep 12, 2020.

1. Profit man

Profit man Active Member

5819FFC5-AE4F-4206-8DEE-F6BE2AEE6C02.png 1BC523BF-E4AC-4CFE-B7A3-FC166DB4897D.png 1BC523BF-E4AC-4CFE-B7A3-FC166DB4897D.png Any feedback on this coin and it’s value would be greatly appreciated

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

OMG, he's back!

furryfrog02 likes this.
  4. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

The answer, with no sarcasm intended, is "whatever someone will pay you for it". Records of past auction sales of similar items, be that of closed eBay listings or another venue, are to my knowledge the only way to get a ballpark idea of the value on something like this.

Edit: especially since it is technically a token and not a coin.

The price of 0.21 g of gold would be your minimum.

tibor, Dynoking and Inspector43 like this.
  5. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Looks like one in MS63 sold back in 2018 for... $192. MS66 is a good hop up from 63, but I don't know if these are widely enough collected for it to make a big difference in price.

6. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Ask yourself what did these costs me and when? Take a look at the .21 g and today's spot price, then go from there.

7. -jeffB

I'd think an MS66 grade (and, of course, authentication) would put a California fractional gold piece way ahead of spot.

8. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I didn't say sell at spot. I'm asking the OP what they need to consider to come to a reasonable price point. In other words, take the .21 g and multiply it by the spot price. That will give them a value for the gold alone. Then consider what they paid for the piece as I have no idea. Of course they need to consider the grade and how many were made and a lot of other things that we do not have any information on.

9. xlrcable

xlrcable Active Member

What is that thing exactly? I know gold tokens were made locally in the early days of the California gold rush, but I can’t tell from the slab label whether this is one of those, or something that might have been made later - “1853 DATED” seems to imply skepticism about the date.

10. -jeffB

I assumed it was just to distinguish it from the numerous undated varieties of these tokens.

Draft saved Draft deleted