What is this coin/medal from Ghana?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by joecoincollect, Oct 22, 2016.

1. joecoincollect

joecoincollect Well-Known Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. joecoincollect

got it for melt. came with display frame and box, card saying RCM minted it. any info would be appreciated. thanks

4. joecoincollect

5. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

The card seems to explain what it is.... 500 Sika coin, weighing 2 oz of silver, minted by the RCM in 2002 for the Chinese year of the horse, legal tender in Ghana.

Not sure what else you want to know?

paddyman98 likes this.
  6. joecoincollect

7. joecoincollect

edge says Pan Asia Bank Taiwan

8. joecoincollect

Obviously i know that. The card and coin can say whatever they want if not legit. Why isnt this coin listed anywhere, like NGC for example. Besides what i was given, how can i verify from other info that this coin even was issued? is that better for you?

9. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

What a mix
    Minted in Canada
    Legal Tender in Ghana
    A bank in Taiwan
    Talk about strange :bored:

10. joecoincollect

tell me about it. I just read somewhere that some ghana medals like this could have been sold to tourists but have little to no numismatic value. A lot of NCLTs fit this description but this spcimen isnt even listed in a coin guide as far as i know

paddyman98 likes this.
  11. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Yes, that is a much clearer question. Thanks.

There is one listed in the NGC census, here: https://www.ngccoin.com/census/world/ghana/sc-145/s500s/

12. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

13. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Just checked what my catalog (Schön) says ... apparently between 1997 and 2006 the central bank of Ghana authorized, quote, comprehensive series of commemorative issues. The catalog does not list any issues. To differentiate them from legal tender coins in cedis and pesewas, they have "sika" denominations: that word means gold or money. Today there is a "sika.io" payment app in Ghana. :)

Christian

joecoincollect and paddyman98 like this.
  14. joecoincollect

thanks everyone. it looks like it's a non-legal tender medal of some kind. The denomination is misleading, perhaps intentionally. The card says top mintage is 1k but who knows if it reached that. I'll probably end up selling for melt some day

Draft saved Draft deleted