What is this Coin!?! Constantine

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by blakasassin1, May 18, 2011.

1. blakasassin1

blakasassin1 New Member

051811124142.jpg 051811124156.jpg
    I dont know what it is but it apears to be of constantine the back is a cross with some lines coming from it and it apears to say okaavlsi or something cannot make out what it is.can someone tell me what it is and how old it is and if itas worth anything
    [​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Eyestrain

Eyestrain Junior Member

It's a very fuzzy photo and hard to make out details. But no overt Christian icons appear on Constantinian coinage until after his death. Even then, it was mostly the Chi-Rho. The crucifix only began to make an appearance during the later Theodosian Dynasty.

The style looks wrong as well, leading me to believe this is some sort of modern fantasy reproduction designed for the Christian crowd as a means of drawing a direct connection between Constantine I and his role in legitimizing the new religion. Given that he's a saint in some sects, this may be more of a patron saint medal, one side of which looks like a period coin.

The reverse legend may be Greek, in keeping with his status as an eastern orthodox saint. Again, the photo is fuzzy, but could one of those A's be a Lambda instead? The last few letters are particularly difficult to call.

I wouldn't mind seeing a sharper picture if possible.

BenSi likes this.
  4. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

You nailed it, it is a fantasy coin. I think it was a prize in something like cereal? Someone else will know for sure, Ive seen it here before .

Alegandron likes this.
  5. blakasassin1

blakasassin1 New Member

i found out that its not a cross its a x but yeh i found out its a fake

6. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

This fake's reverse is a poor copy of one of the common widow's mite types (Antonius Felix) so you get a Christian emperor and the Jewish coin all in one piece. It is not worth the flame it would take to melt it. I have seen many so I suspect it was an advertising mailing item.

jamesicus likes this.
  7. Karen Macaluso

Karen Macaluso New Member

I have the exact coin almost in the exact condition. Have you ever found out if there is any knowledge or value to this coin. Pls let me know. Thx
    edited

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2018
  8. Ken Dorney

Ken Dorney Yea, I'm Cool That Way...

Worth maybe $1, but thats being generous.

9. TIF

TIF Always learning.

@Karen Macaluso, the "coin" shown in the first post of this thread is a fantasy coin, meaning it is of modern creation. It mimics two different coins, the obverse of one type and the reverse of another. One of our member has a webpage about the type:

http://www.constantinethegreatcoins.com/fantasycoin/

Here's a picture of the fantasy coin from his website:

[​IMG]

If this is not what you have, please start a new thread and be sure to include picture (in focus and of sufficient size) along with the size and weight of your coin, and any additional information which might help us, such as how and where you acquired the coin.

Draft saved Draft deleted