What is this coin? Anybody know?!

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by HeidiPiteo, Sep 14, 2015.

1. HeidiPiteo

HeidiPiteo New Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. charlietig

charlietig Well-Known Member

Looks almost like a token to me..... but I could be wrong.

4. HeidiPiteo

HeidiPiteo New Member

My husband found it in 1984 after hurricane Gloria on coast of New Jersey... It's heavy.. Pretty sure it's not a token

5. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

If it's anything at all, it could be an Ancient coin. Looks like a man on one side and a couple of animals on the other but I have no idea what it is. Somebody who knows will be along within a couple days, to say yay or nay. Interesting piece, too bad it's not gold. good luck

HeidiPiteo likes this.
  6. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

That's a horse and rider on both sides, but it does not ring any bells with me.

7. GSDykes

GSDykes Well-Known Member

looks like a horse with a rider, and a plain horse on the "reverse". Incused!! Odd. Let us know when you figure this one out.

HeidiPiteo likes this.
  8. THCoins

THCoins Well-Known Member

9. medoraman

medoraman Supporter! Supporter

Heidi, look at the edge. You will see a line running around the edge of this coin. That is the casting mark, proof it was cast in two pieces. Many tourist fakes are produced this way, and no authentic ancients were made that way. That, the fact its a known fake, and the style are all reasons I am sure its a modern tourist fake. I have tons of them, including one just like this, from misc Ebay group lots. I stamp them COPY and throw them in an old cigar box.

HeidiPiteo likes this.
  10. Daniel Jones

Daniel Jones Well-Known Member

An easy way to distinguish tokens, play money etc. from legitimate coins is legit coins almost always have a monetary symbol, place of origin date, and or other marker defining it. this object/item appears to have none of those features. Sorry.

HeidiPiteo likes this.
  11. HeidiPiteo

HeidiPiteo New Member

12. medoraman

medoraman Supporter! Supporter

Not ancients. What you say is true of most modern coins, but ancient greeks coins it is not true at all. This is copying, (badly), an ancient greek coin.

13. Daniel Jones

Daniel Jones Well-Known Member

You are right. I should have specified that. And like you say, the style of coins are quite different from imitations, but trying to describe such differences with out images is like learning juggling from a hand book.

Draft saved Draft deleted