What is this and what is it's value?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Tyler Wood, Feb 26, 2017.

1. Tyler Wood

Tyler Wood Member

[​IMG][​IMG]
    I bought this coin over the summer in PA from a trusted seller. He insisted that the coin was sterling silver and was from Malta. I searched the web for any information on this coin (it might be a medal too), but to no avail. Any help with identifying this coin/medal would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

It appears to be a coin commemorating the opening of the Holy Door of St. Peter's Basilica in conjunction with the declaration of an Extraordinary Jubilee by Pope John Paul II in 1983-1984.

That should be enough to give you a wedge into the Google Door. :)

Truth1253 likes this.
  4. Parthicus

Parthicus Well-Known Member

Just to clarify, this is not from the official government of Malta, this is from the Order of Malta. The Order of Malta is descended from the Sovereign Military Hospitaller Order of St. John of Jerusalem, aka the Knights Hospitalliers, an order of crusading knights that was established in 1099 AD. It doesn't actually rule over any territory anymore (they were once based on Malta but eventually were forced out), but it continues to mint "coins" which are sold to help finance hospitals and clinics which the Order runs in various places around the world. The modern Order gets its quasi-independent legitimacy from the Vatican, hence the strongly religious theme of its coins. Well, that and the fact that they are technically a bunch of crusading knights. Don't know about this piece specifically,. but hopefully that info will help.

alurid likes this.
  5. Tyler Wood

Tyler Wood Member

Thanks for the information. But I still cannot pinpoint the identidy of the coin/medal.

6. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

You now know where it came from, when it was minted, who had it struck, and what it commemorates. As for the rest, unless you're lucky enough to find someone here who knows off the top of their head, you'll have to go out and research it on your own (as I did, since I'd never even heard of this coin before you posted it). This is what numismatics is about.

paddyman98 and sakata like this.
  7. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

I have a 2002 krause catalog that has the "Order of Malta" coins , but yours in not shown there. I am guessing it is a medal. can you take a picture of the writing that is on your whole 2X2 cardboard holder. that might tell us more.

8. Tyler Wood

Tyler Wood Member

The holder just says "Unknown Malta Medal" with ".4625 ASW Sterling Silver". It weighs a half troy ounce.

9. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

well then we know it's a medal now. off to work will try search the web when I get back from work at 11:30pm. I have 1 coin from order of Malta that i will show when i get home.

Draft saved Draft deleted