What is this ancient?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by jwitten, Apr 22, 2021.

1. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

I had an acquaintance know I do coins, and they asked me about this ancient. I am more of a modern gold guy, so told them I would ask y’all. What can you tell me about it? Approximate value? Thanks!
    D95A016E-F849-4B2A-8DF0-84710C249E0B.jpeg 3EDBE2D8-CF87-442B-92B5-EDA5A332B66A.jpeg

+VGO.DVCKS and tibor like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

Trajan....lQQks to be bronze..what's the weight and measurements?...

Ryro likes this.
  4. jwitten

I’m not sure, I don’t think she is able to take weight or measurements. I thought it looked silver, and the color was just bad in the pictures. I’m not sure though.

5. ominus1

ok...:)

6. philologus_1

philologus_1 Supporter! Supporter

It looks to be like (or very much like) this one which sold for $78 at auction just less than 3 years ago.

https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=5418542
    upload_2021-4-22_13-11-41.png
    Ancient Coins-Roman Silver
    Trajan (98-117 AD), AR Denarius, 114-117 AD, 3.70g, imp caes ner traian optim avg germ dac, laureate bust right, draped, rev. parthico [p m tr p cos vi p p s] p q r, Salus seated left, feeding a serpant entwined around an alter, salvs avg (RSC 332; RIC 370), some strking edge cracks, otherwise sharply detailed, almost extremely fine.

7. ominus1

...that's dang near a spot on match....:)(that is to say it is:D)...yeah..it may be as @Ryro says....from what we can gather...

+VGO.DVCKS likes this.
  8. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

I do believe I see signs that your friends coin is a modern forgery or repro. You may want to ask them for better pics and the measurements that @ominus1 had mentioned.

9. jwitten

What are those signs? It's someone that asked me about it on facebook, that saw I collect coins. I am just trying to help them get a little info on it.

+VGO.DVCKS likes this.
  10. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

I agree there are signs it is a modern fake. The obverse shows casting pits and a casting seam on the left edge. If those are actually on the coin and not just in the picture, it would be a fake.

11. jwitten

The asker thought it was a gold coin. I asked her to take more pics. I have to say, it does look possibly gold. Any new ideas? BB0327FD-CE5B-42F7-8ABC-111535832B37.jpeg 8882603B-3767-4A12-A809-08EBFBE1D92D.jpeg 370929A7-AABE-405E-90F1-96537B31412E.jpeg 2DDBE71B-FDAD-470E-A187-57FAB5821455.jpeg

+VGO.DVCKS, Bing and ominus1 like this.
  12. jwitten

ominus1 likes this.
  13. ominus1

..well now that makes a world of difference...as far as pictures go, it lQQks like a legit coin, silver denarious... weights & measures still are a requirement ifn ya wanna make sure its legit..its possibly is a die match for that coin one of our peeps here showed...but i'd bet $10 thats a legit coin jwittington :)

jwitten likes this.
  14. ominus1

...haha..i noticed that hue too...i don't think it is...it might be a desert patina...or its got juandice :D

jwitten likes this.
  15. philologus_1

philologus_1 Supporter! Supporter

jwitten and ominus1 like this.
  16. ominus1

..well from that info, they were made in that style in gold too...but idk... from the color i see now, i couldn't rule it out...but i thought it was bronze from the 1st pic...good info man :)

philologus_1 likes this.
  17. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

Wow! What a difference the new pictures make. The odd rim at 7:00-10:00 in the original obverse picture is gone. The "pit" in the nose is seems more of a discoloration. I now think it could be a genuine, worn, aureus of Trajan. I wonder what it weighs. If the weight is right, I lean toward genuine.

jwitten and ominus1 like this.
  18. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

With these blurry janky photos (it's bronze or silver. Oh look now it's got a golden hue) and lack of information given make it is highly suspect.
    Photos can never tell us if a coin is for sure legitimate... but they can tell us if it's a for sure fake.
    I'd tell your pal to send it to David Sear if I thought it might be real. But people don't just stumble across aureii. My highly unprofessional opinion is leaning towards fake or stolen.

Voldemort and ominus1 like this.
  19. ArtDeco

ArtDeco Well-Known Member

I've never seen a Trajan denarius with such sharp insciptions/legend before, this looks like a gold aureus of Trajan.

Tell the person to put it on a gram scale and take a photo of the weight from the scale.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2021
  20. jwitten

The coin belongs to a lady on Facebook, who saw I dealt with coins, so asked for help. I think she may join the forum and post some more info on it. I think she said it belonged to her father.

ominus1 likes this.
  21. ominus1

..hehe...you sure you ain't from Missouri?!?..:D

Ryro likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted