What is this 1999-P Dime?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by MixtureNo79, May 12, 2018.

1. MixtureNo79

MixtureNo79 Active Member

I am not really a Roosevelt dime person, but I found this one today and I am wondering if someone can tell me what this is. I appears to be some sort of doubling, but I am not familiar with that enough yet (I have been learning!)

Notice LIBERTY the underside top of the B, the tops of the L and I (and the bottoms if you look closely) and the underside of the top of T. There are some other weird things going on but not as obvious.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

Looks like gunk on the coin.

4. MixtureNo79

I don't know what you are looking at. There is no gunk on the coin. It is pretty clean.

5. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

I see DDD - Die Deterioration Doubling

If you want to learn about true Doubled Die varieties check out this website I want to share with you - http://doubleddie.com/144843.html

And remember this.. The correct terminology is Doubled not double ;)

bsshog40 likes this.
  6. SilverDollar2017

SilverDollar2017 Morgan dollars

It is DDD (Die Deterioration Doubling).

paddyman - You need to change your member title back to "Doubled die, not double!" :)

7. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

Huh. Photos 2 and 4 looks like there is black gunk, gook, dirt, tar above Liberty.

MercuryBen likes this.
  8. MixtureNo79

Thanks Paddyman, I have been to that website, but apparently did not spend enough time reading/looking at photos. I think it takes time to finally see the difference in doubling. The "shelving" aspect of it threw me, because some of the true DDs look like they have "shelving", but now I think I am seeing the difference.

Oh well, time to sell my $10 dime to some fool on eBay - just kidding!!. It will get thrown into the bag with all my other saved coins until someone decides that Die Deterioration Doubling is worth something! Or until I Die Deteriorate, whichever comes first!

Draft saved Draft deleted