What is the y grading system

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by skully53, Jan 1, 2021.

1. skully53

skully53 #FJB

The white square and stapled coin holders have a y* then a number. What is that?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bradley Trotter

Bradley Trotter Well-Known Member

You should probably post pictures. However, if I had to guess that was a designation somebody was using to organize their collection.

TypeCoin971793 likes this.
  4. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Yeoman numbers? Not a grading system though.

micbraun and Oldhoopster like this.
  5. skully53

skully53 #FJB

I will try to post some pics when I can. Some of the white square have lower case y and then a # after. It could be my Uncle was numbering them himself. But with thousands of coins in individual packages, I have zero idea. My head is still spinning.

tommyc03 likes this.
  6. Parthicus

Parthicus Well-Known Member

I agree with @tommyc03 , sounds like your uncle was using Yeoman numbers (a cataloguing system for world coins, which has since been replaced by KM [Krause-Mishler] numbers).

tommyc03 likes this.
  7. skully53

skully53 #FJB

Ok. So, what is Yeoman numbers compared to KM? My Uncle was in no way a savvy collector. So, I still sit here not knowing what any of that is. As stated, I am a newbie. Virgin if you will. I have never been into the coin collecting world until I got most of his stuff.

8. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I don't think they have to do with grading.

9. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

I'm not really sure what happened to R.S. Yeoman's catalogs. It's possible they did not keep up with the times and plethora of coins being issued. The difference would be that the Krause/Mishler numbering system became the standard for world coins including U.S. so unless you have access to an old Yeoman catalog the numbers would be meaningless. I don't believe there is a cross referencing published but maybe someone here knows more about it and how you could do this.

10. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

You are correct but they did include several, maybe 4 grades in their references along with values. But not to be confused with something like a grading guide.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2021
    Collecting Nut likes this.
  11. skully53

skully53 #FJB

I understand none of this.

12. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

The lower case "y" stands for "Yeoman", the publisher of a guide book of world coins. The # after the "y" is the catalog number assigned to that coin in the guide. It will be intimidating trying to figure out all those old numbers and how they cross over into the Krause guides. If you are talking about mainly world coins you will need to start from scratch unless you can locate an old edition of the Yeoman catalog. If it's U.S coins you will only need a Red Book Guide To U.S. Coins.

13. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

I believe most coin books do not list cross-references to other books; at least the Krause world coin books I own don’t. However you can search online and may get lucky.

E.g. Cuba 1 centavo:
    https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces1017.html

References KM# 33.2, KM# 33.3, JMA# 20-26, Y# 27, Schön# A31

Draft saved Draft deleted