What is the value of TPG (Third Party Grader) certification?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by bernard55, Nov 3, 2021.

1. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

The value of TPG is in the increased marketability of the coin. Most collectors no longer trust their own grading ability or authentication skills and will not buy a nice coin at even a fraction of its value unless it bears the guaranteed backing of a trusted grading service. So if you have a nice, valuable coin, your potential buying pool shrinks to near nothing unless you have the coin slabbed.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

Goes back to the answer given to question 1 by @Lehigh96 . . . liquidity.

4. wxcoin

wxcoin Getting no respect since I was a baby

My grading ability is based a lot of what I see in books or the limited number of coins in hand. If I would stick to a specific coin type/series I would most likely become quite good at grading that series. The problem I've had is that coin shows, and especially the internet, has tempted me to spread out my collecting goals. One thing that I can say about the TPGs is that my comfort level in purchasing more expensive coins has improved significantly. Also, sending in raw coins to be graded has helped me examine a coin better. Nothing hurts more than getting a nice coin come back as details. Ok, there are a few things that hurt more; a frying fan to the head for one.

5. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

baseball21, post: "It really is though. Without profit the new products dont get created, there are no dealers or auction houses that help collectors find what they're looking for etc. I agree as far as collecting its not based on profit, but in terms of the hobby itself without that profit many things we take for granted as standard would disappear."

I was going to disagree but you made my argument for me. So I agree when you posted: "I agree as far as collecting its not based on profit ." Take away the "market" and all it entails and there would still be a coin hobby. A CRH does not need a market. Someone collecting shells or shark teeth on a beach does not need a market. Until I was in my teens, I was unaware of a coin market or any other market except for the Supermarket. :D

ToughCOINS likes this.
  6. Silverpop

Silverpop Well-Known Member

N/A

cause i'm both a dealer and collector of coins , and yes one can be both in this hobby so the questions wouldn't apply evenly in that aspect as they are more aimed at the profit side of the hobby not the collector side at least IMHO

7. bernard55

bernard55 Active Member

I too am a collector but I am interested in how the profit end of the business works -- especially the interplay between the TPGs and the dealers. ... but I do understand why a dealer would not want to answer such questions...

Draft saved Draft deleted