What is the value of a MINT MARK D on the wrong place of my 1937 wheat penny?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by ladylady, Aug 7, 2011.

1. ladylady

ladylady New Member

PENNY.jpg Hello friends,
    I would really appreciate your comments,
    I was checking my collection of wheat pennies, I found a "D" on my 1937 penny, just right on the edge BELOW lincoln's tie. It looks a clear D no doubt of that. I have never seen this type of error. Have you? and what is its value? i would grade this penny as VF..THANKS:)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

We will need a good photo to be able to help you. A 'D' under the date is simply a mintmark denoting that the coin was struck in Denver. If you have a 'D' located somewhere else we will need to see a photo.

4. ladylady

ladylady New Member

Hello Hobo,
    Appreciate your help, i did not have camera with me, but i attached a picture od a regular 1937 wheat penny , indicating with a yellow circle the place of the mint mark "D"

5. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

We will need a photo of your coin to help you. (Sorry I was not more specific in my previous reply.)

6. ladylady

ladylady New Member

ok,Tomorrow I will post again.. thanks! Good Night :)

7. ladylady

ladylady New Member

8. ladylady

ladylady New Member

this is my coin , as you can barely see on the edge it is a D. I want to know if this wheat penny has a good value for this error?

9. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

Your photos do not enlarge for some reason so I cannot see much detail. But it appears that something hit the rim of the coin causing damage that looks like a 'D' to you.

Sorry but no, your coin does not have any value beyond the typical 1937 Lincoln Cent.

10. ladylady

ladylady New Member

it is a clear D i can see it in my penny, unfortunately the picture's quality is not good. :( thanks

11. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

Is the 'D' raised (like the date and letters on the coin) or is it incuse? If it is incuse it could be that another coin with a 'D' mintmark was pressed into the rim of your coin. In other words, post-Mint damage (or PMD for short).

12. ladylady

ladylady New Member

It is a D mintmark..

13. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

You did not answer my question. Let me ask you again.

Is the 'D' mintmark raised (like the date and letters on the coin) or is it incuse?

14. ladylady

ladylady New Member

15. Get Some

Get Some New Member

I'm not seeing anything.

16. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

Then it is not a mintmark, just a mark on the coin (i.e., PMD).

17. ladylady

ladylady New Member

It is a clear "D" struck in Denver, but the picture does not help

18. ladylady

ladylady New Member

It is a clear D struck in Denver but the pictures does not help, thanks for your help anyway..good night

19. phdunay

phdunay Member

Well coin dies didn't just change shape and move the MM around, that coin is a 1937 P that has a mark that looks like a D, caused by something else after the minting process.

20. jloring

jloring Senior Citizen

Ladylady doesn't want to hear the truth. This coin is NOT a "D", but a '37 minted in Philly with rim damage that looks LIKE a "D". No error, no numismatic value. But... she will never believe us, no matter how many times we tell her.

21. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

I see what is in the area she indicated, but it looks incuse to me from the photo. I'd say it is most likely Post Mint Damage as well.

Draft saved Draft deleted