What is the value of a blue / purple nickel?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by ddddd, Aug 17, 2016.

1. ddddd

ddddd Member

Hey all,

I have recently become fascinated with blue/purple toned proof nickels.
    I see a large range of prices on these. For those that collect nickels or toned coins, what would you value these at? Are you surprised by what some of these have brought at auction lately?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

NSP, Mad Stax and Paul M. like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

It all depends on what someone is willing to pay for it and how many people are chasing it.

Example
    Several years ago, I spotted a beautifully toned 1883-CC NGC MS65 Morgan Dollar, and my bid of $1200 was beat out by $50. About one week later, another '83-CC graded the same by NGC and almost identical in toning appeared and I won it for $511.

Moral: Sometimes it pays to lose!

Chris

4. ddddd

ddddd Member

Yes I know. That is why I'm trying to get an idea from some of the people that chase these/own them. What is the most you'd pay or have spent on one? Is $50 your max? $100? $500? etc...

5. ddddd

ddddd Member

6. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Many times this is right.

Study the market, choose what YOU believe is a fair price and wait. There are always other coins to buy. My budget runs out far before available coins to buy ever does.

StackerBrad likes this.
  7. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

A case of beauty lying in the eye of the beholder, as long as the wallet holds out.

spirityoda likes this.
  8. ddddd

ddddd Member

So just as a general question, at $150 would anyone buy the first coin?

What would most offer if the need came to sell one of these? $10-$20?

My personal valuation is about $75 for a PF 65-67 (maybe up to $100 with the QA sticker). It appears though that I would get blown away trying to bid that low.
    However, the sample size of the sales is pretty small. I found a few on ebay that sold for over $200 (one was auctioned twice). GreatCollections had more, ranging from $150 to over $250. Is that reflective of the market on these or is the small supply artificially inflating the price?

9. Santinidollar

I would start out by figuring the going price for a non-toned example, then go from there.

10. ddddd

ddddd Member

This does work for certain series, but not so much in this case. An uncertified 1960s proof nickel is worth about $1. One graded Proof 65-67 (without any cameo) is a $10-$20 coin. These proof nickels are very common, but the toned ones are fairly scarce. So, it would be hard to make a conclusion that way (imagine how scary it sounds to say that a toned one has a 300x premium over a generic uncertified example).

11. Santinidollar

I am cautious with toned coins, though I do like these. With all the AT coins out there. Including some that are jimmied in the slab, what if the market for toners sags? Then a 300x price will wind up being toilet-bound. I have some toners -- and I bought them from reliable dealers, at most, with a 10 percent premium over a non-toned.

Obviously I don't have many toners with that approach.

12. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

I sold a fantastic rainbow toned 1964 in the $150 range a few years ago. My estimation is that the monochromatic blue or purple nickels would realize a nice premium buy should never really approach the $100 unless the toning is extremely light, bright, and even. Even though I really like the first coin, I would have trouble paying $50 for that coin. There are just too many of these toners out there in celo proof sets.

[​IMG]

Paul M. and ddddd like this.
  13. ddddd

ddddd Member

So you'd agree that these auctions went higher than normal?

http://m.ebay.com/itm/1960-NGC-PF67...oof-Jefferson-Nickel-/331931705407?nav=SEARCH

http://www.greatcollections.com/Coin/371739/1962-Jefferson-Nickel-ANACS-Proof-66-Toned

http://www.greatcollections.com/Coin/362484/1964-Jefferson-Nickel-ANACS-Proof-67-Toned

Last edited: Aug 18, 2016
  14. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

your first coin I have seen color like that at a Las Vegas coin show go for $700-900. not sure if they sold it. they can put whatever price they want on it, but if it does not sell then it's to high. I would guess $500-600 would be better. wait for other experienced opinions....

15. Lehigh96

Yes, and I would say that each of those buyers is now buried in a very common coin with a very large population of raw coins that could potentially further suppress the value. Greattoning has a very loyal customer base and his auctions bring insane prices, which always surprised me because his photos are not very good. I don't even know what to say about the Great Collections coins, someone buying ANACS graded coins with those premiums? I hope they don't plan on selling them.

Paddy54 likes this.
  16. Lehigh96

Now I know this auction archive is from 2008, but these blue and purple toned nickels are not new and most Jefferson collectors are aware of their existence and relative ease to locate.

Consider that this 1964 Jefferson Nickel PCGS PR68 sold for only $54 and is higher graded than any of the other examples shown in this thread. I stand by my position that $50 would be my ceiling for these coins.

[​IMG]

17. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

I totally agree with Lehigh's post. I've seen and owned some fantastic early 60's toned Proof nickels.
    One has to really love it or had to have the coin to pay a high premium .
    Looking at the mintage's during this time period you'll notice they will never be a coin that is unattainable due to the mintage factor.
    Now to the toner collector that may be a different story if the tone is something that is unique . But still there's going to be a cap on the specimen due to the mintage .
    They are real eye catchers through .

18. Agilmore01

Agilmore01 Well-Known Member

I sold two with really nice purples and blues, and from what I remember, they both sold relatively cheaply, maybe less than $50 each. Both were NGC graded.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Draft saved Draft deleted