What is the reason for the strange color of 1944 pennies , I have 12 here that have a goldish tinge

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Walter Marx, Aug 14, 2018.

?

What's up with the light coloring on these

1. Nice

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. For sale?

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Walter Marx

Walter Marx Active Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SilverDollar2017

SilverDollar2017 Morgan dollars

All look like normal Wheaties to me.

4. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

They are brass, rather than bronze, which has a slightly different color, but is normal.

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  5. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Environmental damage, toning.
    That's what the issue is.

6. Dave363

Dave363 Well-Known Member

Environmental Toning as stated I have seen alot of them. JMO
    Dave

7. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

The shell case war cents are listed as the exact same composition as all the other
    bronze cents.

8. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

The problem is how the law covering the composition was written. It required the cent to be 95% copper and 5% tin and zinc, but it makes no mention of wha tthe proportions of tin and zinc relative to each other are to be. So a 1941 cent that is 95 % copper 2.5 % tin and 2.5% zinc satisfies the requirements of the law. A 1944 cent that is 95% copper, 4.999% zinc and .001% tin satisfies it as well. Throw a pre 1942 cent into the melt and you have satisfied the 5% tin and zinc spec by providing a trace of tin, But the composition of the 1944 is not really the same as the 1941 even though both meet the legal requirements.

For example the 85,590,000 1942 S cents weighing 583,782 pounds were produced using just 50 pounds of tin or .008% tin. The shell case cents used less.

Walter Marx likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted