What is the purpose of CAC?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by TylerH, Sep 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Well-Known Member

Have you noticed how well TPG`s and CAC`s have caught on in the rest of the world. :D

Paddy54 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. bsowa1029

bsowa1029 Franklin Half Addict

How many years until there is a company that certifies CACs certification of the TPGs certification?

Paddy54 likes this.
  4. daveydempsey

Won`t happen, Chemtrails will wipe out the US population, it will stop at the borders of Canada and Mexico though.

Paddy54 likes this.
  5. Gregg

Gregg Monster Toning

Oh no, a chemtrails whack-job right here on Cointalk.
    Listen conspiracy boy, everyone knows the end will come via Zombies!

If you doubt that watch the Walking Dead - it is right there on your T.V.

6. daveydempsey

7. Gregg

Gregg Monster Toning

8. LA_Geezer

LA_Geezer Well-Known Member

Amen!

9. ewomack

ewomack 魚の下着

Most of this hobby is for-profit, so how do you distinguish for-profit sources that have collector's interests at heart from those that don't?

The ANA is non-profit, but most dealers, publishers, suppliers and mints are for-profit. Are the TPGs any different from these other for-profit businesses and organizations?

10. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

I clearly haven't the slightest issue with for-profit entities involved in this hobby. My entire addressed point had only to do with expectations. Far too many simply assume the TPGs (and CAC) to be their saviors when little could be further from the truth. The fact said entities are not the collector's friend is simply something that everyone involved, or thinking of becoming involved, needs to understand.

Just think of how often you'll see dealers bashed on this very board and for no other reason than because they're in business. Now think of how often you'll see the same people laud TPGs while wholly ignoring the fact they too are in business. Perception, often based purely on assumption, is the problem.

ewomack likes this.
  11. harley bissell

harley bissell Well-Known Member

TPGs will always have a lousy rotten reputation for integrity as long as they accept for grading coins that are worth less than the cost of grading. They rip off new collectors daily for grading their RB 1964-d AU cents and such like dreck. Until
    they gain the integrity to do that they deserve all of the bad mouthing they get.
    If you want to have a high grade type coin or a key date coin that is frequently counterfeited you might have to buy a coin that has been entombed by the TPG companies. Anything short of that you are frequently wasting your time and money. Unlike .999 bullion coins you will get none of the premium back when you sell. Originally the TPG companies guaranteed their work and would buy back their mistakes. I don't think that they do that anymore but I'm sure that I will be corrected if I'm wrong. That is as it should be on this forum.

12. harley bissell

I wanted to make sure that this was not covered so I just finished the five pages of comments to this post. Here is where I ruin your corn flakes. Since our Chinese brethren have no problem making counterfeit coins that fool TPG companies and have no problem making counterfeit slabs for their counterfeit coins and use real code numbers that match the date and mint mark of their fake coins it begs the question - What is to stop them from selling rolls of fake CAC beans to people who want to spice up their genuine slabs of lower grade coins? How long will it be before that problem hits the market place or more properly how long until people realize that it already hit the market place a long time ago?

13. ewomack

ewomack 魚の下着

There is absolutely nothing to stop them and we will likely find out when we always do: too late.

CAC does have their own online registry, complete with little animated happy green bean creatures, so at the very least if someone tries to spice up a coin with a green bean the buyer can spot the fraud by searching CAC's registry. But that will only work if CAC has never seen the coin. Does CAC register coins that they reviewed but did NOT put stickers on? I don't know the answer to that, but that would provide a little more help, but, again, not near enough in the onslaught of ever more technologically impressive counterfeiting shops. These same manufacturers of fraud will likely play a huge role in destroying this hobby someday.

harley bissell likes this.
  14. Gregg

Gregg Monster Toning

You can look up the certification number on the CAC website.
    When buying a certified coin check the original TPG site and CAC.

ma-shops likes this.
  15. harley bissell

That's good to know. Personally I have never had access to a computer when I buy coins at shows, dealers, shops, pawn shops or yard sales but then again I have no access to even a stone age cell phone let alone the new smart phones and others with internet access. Good to know that younger collectors will be protected. thank you.

16. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

CAC maintains an internal record of rejected coins, but they do not make that information public.

ewomack likes this.
  17. spirit

spirit Member

the best eyes for evaluating eye appeal are reading this right now...

18. TylerH

TylerH Well-Known Member

0E09730C-0006-4169-839B-FCC25F70D708.jpeg

19. Evan8

Evan8 A Little Off Center

Of course. If they did make those records public, it would be like slowly putting themselves out of business. How many rejected coins have they seen and only to charge their fees again? It's pretty logical from a business standpoint.

20. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

You're opinion. And high handed at that........

ewomack likes this.
  21. ewomack

ewomack 魚の下着

Yes, but not only that, his opinion is very easy to dismiss and to completely ignore because it provides no evidence or arguments whatsoever.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.